- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I participated in UROP from 2015-2017.
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
I was in the traditional UROP program my freshman year, I participated in Research Scholars my Sophomore year, and I was a UROP Peer Advisor my junior and senior year.
What made you choose UROP?
My high school college advisor recommended that I get involved in research in undergrad and shortly thereafter I became aware of the UROP program, which seemed like the perfect way for me to do this while also earning academic credit & work study funds!
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
I learned SO much from my UROP experience! On a basic level I learned a lot about the ins and out of the research process and all that goes into social science research and developed an appreciation for this. Additionally though, through my involvement with UROP I learned a great deal about what I want to pursue academically and professionally in undergrad and beyond.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
After my time in UROP and Research Scholars, I began working in another research lab on campus. However, my research mentor has served as a reference for me multiple times since I worked in the lab and I know she would be happy to in the future should I reach out.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
Being involved in hands on, applied learning through UROP helped me fine tune what I wanted to major in my freshmen year. Beyond this, it gave me a really strong foundation of research experience that has set me up to hold the handful of research experiences I've held since then. Simply put, I wouldn't be where I am today without UROP!
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Apply to Research Scholars! It will extend all the things you learned in UROP and challenge you in a way that will make you excel beyond your years.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Push yourself in all that you do through UROP - the program is truly what you make it and the more you put into all that you do in the classroom and in your lab, the more you'll benefit from the program!