- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- Hayley Hoffman UROP Alumni
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Michael Marzano, UROP Alumni
- Connie Truong, MD
- Dan Hearsch, MBA
- Alexis Mulski, PhD Candidate
- Kristin Fischer, MPH
- Sujay Shetty, UROP Alumni
- Shao Wei Chia - UROP Alumni
- Courtney Whitcher, BS
- Arjune Dhanekula, MD
- Thomas Talhelm, PhD
- Gretchen Chidester, PhD
- Smita Bhattacharya, MS
- Sydney Foy - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Peter Scott - Alzheimer's Research
- Dr. Lawrence La Fountain-Stokes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Teresa Satterfield Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lindsay Bornheimer Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lisa Wexler Research Project Feature
- Dream of Detroit UROP Community Partner
- Rodrigo Ramirez Lescano, Masters Candidate
- Community Development Advocates of Detroit - UROP Community Partner
- Detroit Food Academy - UROP Community Partner
- Dr. Stephanie H. Cook Research Project Feature
- Josh Katzenstein - UROP Alumni
- Dr. Bethany Hughes Research Project Feature
- Dr. Lorenzo García-Amaya Research Project Feature
- Andrea Pesch, PhD Candidate
- Cindy A. Schipani, JD Research Project Feature
- UROP Research Project Feature: Human Rights and Indigenous Rights in Africa
- Nortown Community Development Corporation - UROP Community Partner
- Cyrus Najarian, MD/PhD Candidate
- UROP Featured Alumni Maggi Li
- Dr. Mehboob Hussain - Research Project Feature
- Research Project Feature: TrialNet Type 1 Diabetes: Pathway to Prevention
- Dr. Nikhil Parekh - Research Project Feature
- Vincent Pinti - Neubacher Award Winner
- UROP Alumni John Soukar, PhD Student
- UROP Alumni Hannah Levy
- UROP Alumni Collin Beavan
- UROP Alumni Julie Felberg
- UROP Featured Alumni Austin Basley
- Emily Guo - Community Health Fellow
- Harsh Jhaveri, BSE
- Dr. Kathryn Swanson, DDS
- UROP Featured Alumni Michael Falbo
- Allyson Eastman, JD
- UROP Alumni Aida Mandić
- UROP Alumni Accolades
- Brooke Bacigal, MSt Diplomatic Studies
- Research Mentor Feature: Dr. Alvaro Rojas-Peña
- Research Feature: Andre Monteiro Da Rocha, PhD
- Research Feature: Nancy Harmon R.D.H.
- Research Feature: Mothering Justice
- UROP Research Feature: Kimberley Heinrich, Ph.D.
- Research Feature, Audrey G. Bennett MFA
- UROP Alumni Justin Gordon
- UROP Alumni Emily Yerington, MAT; MEd
- UROP Alumni Maya Millette
- UROP Alumni Jacob Blanksvard
- UROP Alumni Dr. Julian Vasquez Heilig
- UROP Alumni Andrew Arche
- UROP Alumni Savannah Jelneck
- Congratulations Virgil Watkins
- Congratulations Emmanuel Orozco Castellanos
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I was a student in UROP for the 2015-2016 academic year when I was a sophomore.
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
I took part in the standard UROP. At the UROP Spring Symposium, my presentation earned me a Blue Ribbon award from the judges. I took my work a step further by editing and enhancing my project which led to its acceptance for a poster presentation at the American Association of Pediatrics national convention in San Francisco, CA (October 2016) Discharge Medications: One Component of a New Inpatient Process. Negris, O., Nowicki M.J., Amori, S., Lewis, C., Schummer, J., Monroe, K., Mychaliska, K.P. Additionally, I applied to utilize some of the incredible UROP resources, and was fortunate to receive funding from the UROP office to support my attendance at this conference.
What made you choose UROP?
As a pre-med student, I knew research experiences would enhance my application for medical school. I was also genuinely interested in gaining research experience. I have always been a very hands-on learner, and UROP provided a great opportunity to supplement my classroom work.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
First and foremost, I learned how much I enjoy research from UROP. My UROP project was clinical research focusing on quality improvement in the C.S Mott Children’s Hospital. I initially struggled to find a mentor who could accommodate my schedule as I was a baton twirler in the Michigan Marching Band, and had daily two hour practices during the fall semester. I was the last person of my UROP seminar group to get paired up with a mentor, which was difficult at the time. However, it became clear that everything does happen for a reason and I am so thankful for the mentor and project that I did end up pairing with. During UROP, I gained critical thinking skills, perseverance, time management, and knowledge of the healthcare field.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
My UROP project came to a close at the end of my sophomore year. However, I continued on other research projects with my Research Mentor for the remainder of my undergraduate years. I was fortunate to have my Research Mentor write a letter of recommendation for my medical school application. We communicate occasionally through e-mails – always sure to share big life updates.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
UROP really sparked my passion for research. I was able to make connections with other healthcare professionals within Michigan’s hospitals. I learned to take initiative and seek out the projects of most interest to me, and to then form meaningful relationships with my mentors and other project leaders. While at U of M, I worked on 4 different research projects and after graduation I returned to the Chicago area and began working as a research coordinator at Northwestern University. Here, I’ve been exposed to countless additional research projects and realized that I definitely desire to continue scientific research as I transition to medical school and beyond.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Nothing worthwhile is going to happen in your comfort zone! Try new things, explore novel trains of thought, be intentional in forming relationships with mentors and other faculty at U of M. Work hard and seek out your own opportunities to present your work if need be – don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, because this is the best way to learn. These are all things that you can take with you when you’re time with UROP comes to a close.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
In addition to my recent acceptance to Rush Medical College, I am proud of the following publications and presentations of my ongoing research work:
Full manuscript published in April 2020 issue of Current Opinion in Allergy & Clinical Immunology: Food allergy – How expensive are they? Ashley A. Dyer MPH; Olivia R. Negris MA; Ruchi S. Gupta MD MPH; Lucy A. Bilaver PhD (DOI: 10.1097/ACI.0000000000000622)
Poster presentations accepted to ENDO 2020 meeting in San Francisco, CA (March 2020) and abstract to be published in the Endocrine Society Journals:
1) Relationship between BMI and PCOS symptoms among Flo app users in the United States. Olivia Negris, MA, Dannielle Brown, MHS, Isabel Galic, BA, Liudmila Zhaunova, PhD, Anna Klepchukova, MD, Tarun Jain, MD.
2) Characterization of PCOS Among Flo App Users Around the World. Isabel Galic, BA, Dannielle Brown, MHS, Olivia Negris, MA, Liudmila Zhaunova, PhD, Anna Klepchukova, MD, Tarun Jain, MD
Letter published February 25, 2020 in Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology: Pediatric Allergists’ Perspectives on the Psychosocial Challenges of Food Allergy and Factors that Support Coping. Alexandria Bozen, BS, Madeleine K. Kanaley, BA, Olivia Negris, MA, Ruchi S. Gupta, MD, MPH, Lisa Lombard, PhD (DOI: 10.1016/j.anai.2020.02.003)
Poster presentation at the American Association of Immunologists meeting in San Diego, CA (May 2019): Bacillus subtilis- mediated suppression of house dust mite allergic airway inflammation. Swartzendruber JA, Negris OR, Incrocci R, Knight KL
Full manuscript published in November 2018 Hospital Pediatrics: Adherence to AAP Healthy Newborn Discharge Criteria in a Tertiary Care Children's Hospital. Arora NS, Danicek AM, Osborn RR, Fried SQ, Negris OR, Lychuk K, Mychaliska KP, Skoczylas MS, & Monroe KK (DOI: https://doi.org/10.1542/hpeds.2018-0061)
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Embrace your curiosity and creativity! Taking part in UROP was one of the best decisions I’ve made academically and professionally.