- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I participated in the UROP program from 2013-2014 during my freshman year at the University of Michigan.
What made you choose UROP?
I chose UROP because I was interested in becoming involved with research when I first started undergrad and this program had a wide variety of projects to choose from with limited experience required.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
The UROP program was most useful for me in terms of the connections I made and how it shaped my ultimate career choice of applying to medical school.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
I have still kept in touch with my research mentor to this day and she ended up writing a letter of recommendation for my medical school application.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
I am now a third year medical student at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia and have continued to be involved heavily in research throughout my time here. I credit the UROP program with giving me the opportunity to break into the research world and begin contributing at an early time in my academic career.