- All News
- Search News
- Former UROP student Alexi Schnur awarded ASM Fellowship
- UROP student Austin Carter attends the American Geophysical Union's Fall Meeting
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP PA McKenzie Campbell presents Honors Thesis
- Peer into the life of UROP PA Trisha Ramsdell
- Peer into the life of UROP PA Sohrab Vatsia
- Meet up-and-coming chemist David Vargas
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Student research profile: Building a better battery with Nando Felten
- Student researcher explores differences among university sexual assault policies
- Student research profile: Kayla Stanek
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- UROP Profile - Michigan Daily
- Cindy Schipani
- Doug Roehler
- Tahra Suhan
- De Peter Yi
- Adam Eickmeyer
- Liz Galvez
- Jason De Leon
- Michael T. Heaney
- Jade Burns
- Kathleen Ignatoski
- Brandon Baugh
- Atiba Edwards
- Chris Wetzel
- U-M Students Win prestigious national, international scholarships and fellowships
- Strong Detroit neighborhood proposals lead Kresge to boost grant round to $2.4 million for 25 projects
- University Students awarded Marshall & Schwartzman Scholarships
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- Ashley Hagaman
- Jiahao Liu
- Mary Basso
- Samantha Kasselman
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- Provost’s Teaching Innovation Prizes honor five faculty projects
- Steven Beattie
- Anurag Gupta
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Jason Coupet, PhD - UROP Alumni
- Emily Maggioncalda, PhD Candidate - UROP Alumni
- Michael-Paul Schallmo, PhD - UROP Alumni
- Jill Rodriguez, ME - UROP Alumni
- Jadan Law - UROP Alumni
- Shyam Bhakta, MD, MBA
- Kelly Goodman, PhD Candidate
- Mitchell Johnson - UROP Alumni
- Nisha Pasupuleti, JD, MHA
- Michael Haupt, PhD Candidate
- Julien Heidt - UROP Alumni
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
Name: David Vargas
Hometown: Medellin, Colombia
How did you get involved with UROP?
I first heard about it when I was at Washtenaw Community College, and once I transferred over to UM I just looked for it!
Who is your research mentor?
What is the research project about?
Selective catalysis using proteins.
What is your role in the project?
I am in charge of the whole synthesis and characterization of the catalyst. After this is done I would proceed to perform the reactions and see what the results are.
How has research affected your academic journey/plans?
I have always wanted to work in chemistry. Now that I am actually doing it, I am completely sure that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
What do you like to do for fun?
Play soccer, lots of soccer. Hangout with friends and family. Video games from time to time.
What’s your favorite movie? Or one you've seen recently?
Have not seen much lately due to the busy schedule but I would say something with Will Smith.
If we looked in your email inbox right now, what would it look like? Are you the type of person who has tons of unread emails or none? Spam?
None. I keep my email inbox pretty updated. It drives me nuts when it is super messy.
Favorite (study) spot on campus?
SLC in the Chem Building.
Favorite class? Favorite Professor?
Organic chemistry, Professor Nagash Clarke from WCC. I really liked Prof. Theodore Goodson's class (Chem 461).
What is your dream job?
Working in the development of new drugs.What are your plans post graduation? I am planning to go to grad school in Chemistry (Organic).
Would you rather be able to speak fluently every language in the world or be the best in the world at something of your choosing?
The best in the world at something. I think it would be more beneficial for me and humanity.