- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Ryan Shami UROP Alumni
- Melissa Manley, PhD Candidate
- Tejash Patel, PhD
- GradeCraft helps UROP students become more curious and better researchers
- Lamira Ray, MPH
- Joshua Hurlburt, DDS
- Megan Wampler - UROP Alumni
- UROP Student Spotlight - Yasmeen Berry
- Celina Romano, JD, PhD Candidate
- Mikel Haggadone, PhD Candidate
- Colby Hanley, UROP Alumni
- Ian Waters, PhD
- Yannah Melle UROP Alumni
- Nida Ali, MPH
- Julia Wang, MD-PhD
- Ryan McWay, Research Area Specialist Associate
- Aracely Marroquin, CCSFP Researcher Awarded Grant
- Undergraduate student research spring symposium goes virtual
- Shannon Shaughnessy UROP Alumni
- Asa Smith, PhD, RN
- Lisa Barrett, PhD
- Kartik Bhatt, MPH
- Sari Grossman UROP Alumni
- Jake Gibson - UROP Alumni
- Erin Ealba Bumann, DDS, PhD, MS
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
Name: David Vargas
Hometown: Medellin, Colombia
How did you get involved with UROP?
I first heard about it when I was at Washtenaw Community College, and once I transferred over to UM I just looked for it!
Who is your research mentor?
What is the research project about?
Selective catalysis using proteins.
What is your role in the project?
I am in charge of the whole synthesis and characterization of the catalyst. After this is done I would proceed to perform the reactions and see what the results are.
How has research affected your academic journey/plans?
I have always wanted to work in chemistry. Now that I am actually doing it, I am completely sure that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.
What do you like to do for fun?
Play soccer, lots of soccer. Hangout with friends and family. Video games from time to time.
What’s your favorite movie? Or one you've seen recently?
Have not seen much lately due to the busy schedule but I would say something with Will Smith.
If we looked in your email inbox right now, what would it look like? Are you the type of person who has tons of unread emails or none? Spam?
None. I keep my email inbox pretty updated. It drives me nuts when it is super messy.
Favorite (study) spot on campus?
SLC in the Chem Building.
Favorite class? Favorite Professor?
Organic chemistry, Professor Nagash Clarke from WCC. I really liked Prof. Theodore Goodson's class (Chem 461).
What is your dream job?
Working in the development of new drugs.What are your plans post graduation? I am planning to go to grad school in Chemistry (Organic).
Would you rather be able to speak fluently every language in the world or be the best in the world at something of your choosing?
The best in the world at something. I think it would be more beneficial for me and humanity.