- All News
- Search News
- Former UROP student Alexi Schnur awarded ASM Fellowship
- UROP student Austin Carter attends the American Geophysical Union's Fall Meeting
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP PA McKenzie Campbell presents Honors Thesis
- Peer into the life of UROP PA Trisha Ramsdell
- Peer into the life of UROP PA Sohrab Vatsia
- Meet up-and-coming chemist David Vargas
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Student research profile: Building a better battery with Nando Felten
- Student researcher explores differences among university sexual assault policies
- Student research profile: Kayla Stanek
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- UROP Profile - Michigan Daily
- Cindy Schipani
- Doug Roehler
- Tahra Suhan
- De Peter Yi
- Adam Eickmeyer
- Liz Galvez
- Jason De Leon
- Michael T. Heaney
- Jade Burns
- Kathleen Ignatoski
- Brandon Baugh
- Atiba Edwards
- Chris Wetzel
- U-M Students Win prestigious national, international scholarships and fellowships
- Strong Detroit neighborhood proposals lead Kresge to boost grant round to $2.4 million for 25 projects
- University Students awarded Marshall & Schwartzman Scholarships
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- Ashley Hagaman
- Jiahao Liu
- Mary Basso
- Samantha Kasselman
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- Provost’s Teaching Innovation Prizes honor five faculty projects
- Steven Beattie
- Anurag Gupta
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Jason Coupet, PhD - UROP Alumni
- Emily Maggioncalda, PhD Candidate - UROP Alumni
- Michael-Paul Schallmo, PhD - UROP Alumni
- Jill Rodriguez, ME - UROP Alumni
- Jadan Law - UROP Alumni
- Shyam Bhakta, MD, MBA
- Kelly Goodman, PhD Candidate
- Mitchell Johnson - UROP Alumni
- Nisha Pasupuleti, JD, MHA
- Michael Haupt, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
UROP Frist Year (2019-2020), Biomedical and Life Sciences Summer Fellowship (2020)
What made you choose UROP?
UROP offers a unique opportunity that prepares college students for post-college experiences in research areas and guarantees first year students the opportunity to start working with research labs.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
The UROP program helps students new to the research application process through every step: from resume and cover letter to symposium presentation. Students can also expect to learn how to give an efficient interview and present themselves in a competitive manner to lab mentors.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
I still maintain contact with my Research Mentor, and will be continuing to work in their lab next year.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
My UROP experience informed me on different types of degrees I can pursue after undergrad. Because of this, I am planning on pursuing my Master’s degree through the SURE program.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Apply to a variety of research labs: if accepted, this gives you the opportunity to tour multiple labs and discuss research with professors during your interview. By giving yourself choices you are more likely to have an interest in your lab’s work and get a better experience overall.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I am currently working on a manuscript for my lab on the use of micro-ct for histology analysis!
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
If you are considering going into a research field at all this is an amazing step to take. Students learn interview, lab, and public speaking skills, and after one year, I feel more .