- All News
- Search News
- Former UROP student Alexi Schnur awarded ASM Fellowship
- UROP student Austin Carter attends the American Geophysical Union's Fall Meeting
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP PA McKenzie Campbell presents Honors Thesis
- Peer into the life of UROP PA Trisha Ramsdell
- Peer into the life of UROP PA Sohrab Vatsia
- Meet up-and-coming chemist David Vargas
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Student research profile: Building a better battery with Nando Felten
- Student researcher explores differences among university sexual assault policies
- Student research profile: Kayla Stanek
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- UROP Profile - Michigan Daily
- Cindy Schipani
- Doug Roehler
- Tahra Suhan
- De Peter Yi
- Adam Eickmeyer
- Liz Galvez
- Jason De Leon
- Michael T. Heaney
- Jade Burns
- Kathleen Ignatoski
- Brandon Baugh
- Atiba Edwards
- Chris Wetzel
- U-M Students Win prestigious national, international scholarships and fellowships
- Strong Detroit neighborhood proposals lead Kresge to boost grant round to $2.4 million for 25 projects
- University Students awarded Marshall & Schwartzman Scholarships
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- Ashley Hagaman
- Jiahao Liu
- Mary Basso
- Samantha Kasselman
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- Provost’s Teaching Innovation Prizes honor five faculty projects
- Steven Beattie
- Anurag Gupta
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Jason Coupet, PhD - UROP Alumni
- Emily Maggioncalda, PhD Candidate - UROP Alumni
- Michael-Paul Schallmo, PhD - UROP Alumni
- Jill Rodriguez, ME - UROP Alumni
- Jadan Law - UROP Alumni
- Shyam Bhakta, MD, MBA
- Kelly Goodman, PhD Candidate
- Mitchell Johnson - UROP Alumni
- Nisha Pasupuleti, JD, MHA
- Michael Haupt, PhD Candidate
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I participated in UROP 2000-2001
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
First year research - traditional UROP
What made you choose UROP?
Amazing opportunity to learn from worldclass researchers at UM Medical Center and help lead high quality clinical trials.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
Scientific method from a hypothesis driven approach has been a cornerstone in developing new treatments. UROP specifically showed me the rigor and diligence required to achieve results.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
My mentor was Dr. Teknos and he has been a wonderful advisor throughout the years.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
Having a solid research experience helped me excel in medical school at University of Michigan Medical School. Later on, I completed in a post-doc at Harvard Medical School in bioinformatics where I led several projects.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Learn from your mentors and try to spend as much time as you can with them. Research may not be glamorous, but the societal rewards are critical.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I recently launched Tembo Health which is a telemedicine startup providing specialty healthcare services to nursing home seniors. Now, more than ever, our services are critical to providing safe, high quality healthcare services to the senior community.
Some recent publications include:
· A. Gupta, A. Bajracharya, C.B. Beasley, N. Garg, J.N. Avari, J. Streim. Telepsychiatry implementation in rural SNFs improves access to mental health care. American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. Mar 2019.
· Lindsey, R, Daluiski A, Chopra S, Lachapelle A, Mozer M, Sicular S, Hanel D, Gardner M, Gupta A, Hotchkiss R, Potter H. Deep Neural Network Improves Fracture Detection by Clinicians. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2018 Oct.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Speak up when you have idea or feedback; It's more important than you think!