- All News
- Search News
- UROP Associate Director Catalina Ormsby Receives Distinguished Diversity Leaders Award
- UROP Welcomes New Director: Dr. Michelle Ferrez
- Thirty Years of UROP: Explore More
- 30th Anniversary of UROP Program
- A two-way street: UROP Peer Facilitators support first-year, second-year, and transfer students in their research and academics — and learn from them in the process
- UROP adapts to COVID crisis
- Corey J. Schiffman, MD
- Brent Frey, DDS
- Jane Brown, PhD Candidate
- Yaera Spraggins, Recently Published UROP Alumni
- Scott Koenigbauer, PhD Candidate
- Olivia Negris, Doctoral Candidate
- Michael DiDonato, UROP Alumni
- Vivian Kurtz UROP Alumni
- Geoffrey Jenkins, UROP Alumni
- Rhonda Fields, MSW - UROP Alumni
- Trey Thomas UROP Alumni
- Elizabeth Schill UROP Alumni
- Archived News
- Lessons from virtual summer fellowship in Detroit linger for students
- All Events
What years did you participate in UROP?
I participated in UROP 2000-2001
What UROP Program(s) were you a part of?
First year research - traditional UROP
What made you choose UROP?
Amazing opportunity to learn from worldclass researchers at UM Medical Center and help lead high quality clinical trials.
What do you think you have learned from your UROP experience?
Scientific method from a hypothesis driven approach has been a cornerstone in developing new treatments. UROP specifically showed me the rigor and diligence required to achieve results.
What is the extent to which you have kept in contact with your Research Mentor?
My mentor was Dr. Teknos and he has been a wonderful advisor throughout the years.
How did your UROP experience shape or inform the next steps you took in your academic and professional journey?
Having a solid research experience helped me excel in medical school at University of Michigan Medical School. Later on, I completed in a post-doc at Harvard Medical School in bioinformatics where I led several projects.
What advice would you give to a current UROP student?
Learn from your mentors and try to spend as much time as you can with them. Research may not be glamorous, but the societal rewards are critical.
What are some recent publications or accomplishments that you are proud of?
I recently launched Tembo Health which is a telemedicine startup providing specialty healthcare services to nursing home seniors. Now, more than ever, our services are critical to providing safe, high quality healthcare services to the senior community.
Some recent publications include:
· A. Gupta, A. Bajracharya, C.B. Beasley, N. Garg, J.N. Avari, J. Streim. Telepsychiatry implementation in rural SNFs improves access to mental health care. American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. Mar 2019.
· Lindsey, R, Daluiski A, Chopra S, Lachapelle A, Mozer M, Sicular S, Hanel D, Gardner M, Gupta A, Hotchkiss R, Potter H. Deep Neural Network Improves Fracture Detection by Clinicians. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2018 Oct.
Is there any other advice you would like to impart to current or future UROP students?
Speak up when you have idea or feedback; It's more important than you think!