Students who have received a Work-Study award as part of their financial aid package (or a UROP Grant award) can earn wages for their work on the research project. Students must complete requisite employment forms and provide documentation of eligibility to work in the United States. Students will be hired as a temporary employee and receive an hourly wage of $15/hour worked.
Work-study participants are also required to register for one credit hour per term for the mandatory research seminars. You will not be paid for the mandatory seminars but are required to attend. Poor attendance at the seminars and non-compliance with other UROP requirements will be grounds to terminate your funding.
- Be a current UROP participant
- Have a Work-Study Award as part of Financial Aid Package
- Be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States, with original identifying documents. Please bring them to campus with you and be prepared to present them in person. These include but are not limited to:
- Birth Certificate
- Driver's License or State ID
- Find a project and sign a Mentor-Mentee Agreement
- Register for your UROP course
- Complete the Student Employment Application in Wolverine Access
- Look for an email from LSA HR Transactions with 3 business days of signing your agreement
- Complete an I-9 Form at the Shared Services Center within 3 days of your hire. Visit the Shared Services I-9 Processing webpage for more information, and to schedule an I-9 appointment.
After completing these steps, students may then begin working on their research project and reporting those hours for wages.