Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Frequently Asked Questions

Did you know the University of Michigan is the #1 Public Research University in the U.S. and has opportunities for incoming first-year, sophomores and transfer students to engage in research, scholarly, and creative inquiry with faculty, post-doc researchers and community partners?

Click on the FAQ section below to learn more about the limitless impact UROP has on our current students, research mentors, and over 50,000 alumni across the world!

Have questions? Please contact

What is the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP)?

UROP is a year-long academic experience that engages first, second year and transfer students in research, scholarly, and creative inquiry. 

What type of research can I conduct?

UROP provides opportunities for students to work on research and creative projects with University of Michigan researchers and community partners in all academic disciplines, including the humanities and creative arts, social sciences, natural and biomedical sciences, environmental sciences and physical sciences and engineering.

Learn about previous research projects through the links below:

I am not in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, can I still apply?

Absolutely. UROP is open to undergraduates from all schools and colleges.

I don’t have any prior research experience, can I apply to UROP?

Previous research is not required. UROP provides FREE skill-building workshops that are required or recommended by UROP mentors as skills necessary to be successful as a part of their research project. 

When can I apply to the Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program?

Summer Program applications open between October - December.

Sophomore Applications open near the end of the Fall Semester

Research Scholars applications open between January and February

Most UROP academic-year program applications open in May and close around the end of August.

What is the deadline to apply?

UROP application deadlines vary by program.

Which program should I apply for as a transfer student?

Changing Gears (CG) is a UROP program designed primarily for community college transfer students who will be attending the University of Michigan, but also serves students transferring from 4 year institutions.

What are the requirements to participate in UROP?

Conduct research on average 6-12 hours per week during the 2020-2021 academic year. 

Engage with a community of student researchers participating in mandatory research seminars held on Tuesday evenings 4:00-5:30 p.m. 

Attend monthly meetings with a UROP peer facilitator. The meetings are an opportunity for you to discuss your project and any questions or concerns you may have.

What is the purpose of the seminars?

The seminars are designed to complement your UROP research experience, facilitate your professional development as new scholars/researchers, and get the most out of your research experience.

What is the difference between academic credit vs. work-study?

Students participating for academic credit will receive 2-4 general elective credits per term. 

Work-study students who have applied and accepted their Financial Aid work-study package will receive 1 academic credit per term and are paid $12/hour.

Federal Work-Study is a financial aid program for students who have financial need. The program funds part-time jobs for undergraduates, allowing students to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Under the Work-Study program, a percentage of students’ earnings is paid through federal funds, with the remainder paid by UROP.

I don’t receive work-study, can I still get paid?

UROP provides grants to currently enrolled U-M UROP students who do not have work-study as part of their financial aid package but who have demonstrated financial need. 

Does UROP provide transportation if I am working on a community-engaged or research project outside of the standard U-M "Blue Bus" routes?

If your UROP project is not reachable from the standard UM Blue Bus routes (e.g. at the Rachel Upjohn Building, Dominos Farms, near Wolverine Tower, Ypsilanti or Detroit), then UROP has you covered!

UROP has a leased UM vehicle that students can drive so long as they have a valid driver's license and complete a Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check.

How do I contact UROP?

  • Email:
  • Facebook:
  • Instagram:
  • Twitter: