Changing Gears (CG) is a UROP program designed primarily for community college transfer students who will be attending the University of Michigan, but also serves students transferring from 4 year institutions. Students in the CG Program become a part of an ongoing faculty-driven research, scholarly or creative project in their field of interest. Students learn valuable academic skills, applying these skills to their research project, academics, and future career opportunities, while receiving academic credit or compensation for their efforts in research work.
If you are a U-M Transfer Student and not graduating until winter 2022 and/or after, you are eligible to apply to the 2021-2022 UROP Changing Gears Program. The 2021-2022 application will be available starting May 1, 2021
If you have any questions regarding Changing Gears, please contact Dr. Michelle Ferrez, Director of UROP at email@example.com.
UROP's Changing Gears Program offers:
- Opportunities to build relationships with Faculty Mentors, Research Scholars and UROP Staff.
- Build community with transfer students engaging in hands-on research in students' field of interest.
- University of Michigan UROP Alumni Professionals that span the globe.
- Exposure to academic and research skills for a smoother transition to U-M.
- Connection to resources and opportunities for professional development and graduate school.
- Work on a research project 6-12 hours per week (avg.) for the full academic year.
- Explore topics such as research methodology and research ethics.
- Assigned a UROP Peer Facilitator (CG Alumni) for the full academic year for help with:
- Finding a research project
- Preparing for the interview process
- Providing research skills through workshops
- Connecting students with resources and opportunities at UM
- Creating a community and supporting students’ UM transfer experience
- Attend biweekly interdisciplinary seminars featuring guest speakers, field trips, and discussions.
- Readings and assignments about students’ research and UM transfer process.
- Present research project at the Annual Spring Research Symposium.
The Changing Gears Program is designed for community college students transferring to the University of Michigan. However, students transferring from 4 year institutions are also welcome to apply. Students must have at least Sophomore standing.
- Students who have participated in UROP during the academic year in the past, including MRADS students, are not eligible for the Changing Gears Program.
- Current UROP participants who are freshmen or sophomores and want to continue with their projects for the upcoming year should apply to the Research Scholars Program and/or discuss ways to continue doing research with their research sponsors directly.
- Priority is given to students with no research experience, therefore students who have had previous research experience on the Ann Arbor campus (even though it may have not been through UROP) will be admitted to the "Traditional UROP Program" rather than the Changing Gears Program.
For the Changing Gears Program, students can earn either academic credit or compensation through the work-study program:
Academic Credit: Students can earn 2-4 academic credits per term, based on the level of research required. Students will register by permission for UROP credit upon being hired for a research project.
Work-Study: Students can earn work-study wages if work-study is part of their financial aid package. Students with financial need, but who do not have work-study as part of their financial aid package, can apply for a grant upon admission to the program (more details will be provided upon admission).
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and UMID in any correspondence.