Recommendations for Personal Travel:
- When traveling for personal reasons, share your itinerary with the onsite program staff, partners, host family or roommates. This helps us reach out to you in case of an emergency on site or at home. You can also ensure that we can reach you in an emergency by registering your personal travel in the University's Travel Registry.
- Familiarize yourself with applicable customs and reentry regulations for travel to countries outside of your host country. Be sure you understand the terms of your visa.
- Avoid high-risk activities.
- Make sure you select safe methods of transportation; read the U.S. Department of State’s Road Safety section on their website.
- Contact on-site partners or faculty about any health, safety, or security concerns related to your travel. The LSATravel Team is also a resource.
Registering Personal Travel
Personal travel is defined as when a student participating on a UM global experience, such as a faculty led program, travels for personal reasons. It is recommended to register for a personal trip if the travel destination is around or greater than 40 miles (60 kilometers) from the program site and/or involves spending one or more nights away from the program's base city.
Using the personal travel function within MCompass, students can register travel dates and destinations. Registering these trips allows University of Michigan emergency responders to locate, contact, and support students in the event of an emergency.