- ★ Writing Support
- First-Year Writing Requirement
- International Students
- Minor in Writing
- MWrite Fellows Program
- Peer Writing Consultant Program
- Transfer Students
- Upper-Level Writing Requirement
- Writing Guides
- Writing Prizes
Interested in receiving updates about applying?
If you are interested in applying to the Minor in Writing in the future, you can sign up for our email list and we'll send you a reminder to apply as the application deadline approaches, as well as details about upcoming information sessions.
When to apply
The next deadline to apply to the Minor in Writing for Winter 2023 is Monday, October 24, 2022. The online application to apply will be posted here in September.
Requirements for application
Students must have completed their First-Year Writing Requirement with a grade of C or higher. Engineering students must have completed Engineering 100 with a grade of C or higher. Transfer students can complete the FYWR with a transfer course approved by Sweetland.
Materials for application
- Writing sample from any college course
- Letter of interest
- Unofficial U-M transcript (available through Wolverine Access)
Admission process and criteria
- Submit all materials by the application deadline.
- The admission process is competitive and space is limited. Because space is limited students must complete the minor gateway course, Writing 220: Introduction to the Minor in Writing, in their first semester Minor.
- Application materials are reviewed by a committee of Sweetland faculty, who make admissions recommendations based upon the quality of the writing sample, the reasons given for applying to the minor, and student’s overall academic performance.
- Students are notified of the decision via email prior to the beginning of registration.