- ★ Writing Support
- Writing Guides
- International Students
- Transfer Students
- Minor in Writing
- Peer Writing Consultant Program
- MWrite Fellows Program
- First-Year Writing Requirement
- Upper-Level Writing Requirement
- Writing Prizes
Interested in receiving updates about applying?
If you are interested in applying to the Minor in Writing in the future, you can sign up for our email list and we'll send you a reminder to apply as the application deadline approaches, as well as details about upcoming information sessions.
If you are interested in learning more about the Sweetland Minor in Writing from current students and faculty, or have questions about the application process, you can attend a Minor in Writing Virtual Information Session hosted on Zoom.
Monday, October 11th 5-6pm
Thursday, October 14th 5-6 pm
Wednesday, October 20th 4-5pm
Requirements for application
Students must have completed their First-Year Writing Requirement with a grade of C or higher. Engineering students must have completed Engineering 100 with a grade of C or higher. Transfer students can complete the FYWR with a transfer course approved by Sweetland.
Materials for application
- Writing sample from any college course
- Letter of interest
- Unofficial U-M transcript (available through Wolverine Access)
Admission process and criteria
- Submit all materials by the application deadline.
- The admission process is competitive and space is limited. Because space is limited students must complete the minor gateway course, Writing 220: Introduction to the Minor in Writing, in their first semester Minor.
- Application materials are reviewed by a committee of Sweetland faculty, who make admissions recommendations based upon the quality of the writing sample, the reasons given for applying to the minor, and student’s overall academic performance.
- Students are notified of the decision via email prior to the beginning of registration.