- ★ Writing Support
- First-Year Writing Requirement
- International Students
- Minor in Writing
- MWrite Fellows Program
- Peer Writing Consultant Program
- Transfer Students
- Upper-Level Writing Requirement
- Writing Guides
- Writing Prizes
UWrite is an online self-placement tool that guides you to reflect on your writing experiences and learning preferences, and helps you select First-Year Writing Requirement courses that fit your interests and needs. Students should plan to complete the First-Year Writing Requirement in their first three terms at U-M.
Who Is Required to Complete UWrite?
- First-year students in LSA, Architecture, Stamps School of Art & Design, Kinesiology, School of Music, Theatre, and Dance, Nursing, and Ross Business School are required to complete UWrite.
- Students in LSA Honors, Engineering, and the Residential College are NOT required to complete UWrite.
- Transfer students should consult the Transfer Students page.
When Should Students Complete UWrite?
- Students should complete UWrite at least 2 weeks before their scheduled virtual advising session. It is in students’ interest to complete this task: doing so will save considerable time in the advising and course selection process, and result in good matches between students’ interests and their First-Year Writing Requirement course.
- It will take about 30 minutes to complete UWrite and select preferred First-Year Writing Requirement courses or other supportive options.
What Should Students Do After Completing UWrite?
- Students will receive an email summary of their UWrite entries, including their preferred courses.
- Your advising team will have access to a summary of your responses to assist you during your orientation.