In collaboration with the Rackham Graduate School, the Sweetland Center for Writing coordinates several student-led writing groups for graduate students writing their dissertations or theses. These interdisciplinary writing groups provide structured, peer-facilitated support to aid writers through long-term projects.
Dissertation Writing Groups (DWG)
Dissertation Writing Groups place writers from various disciplines but in similar stages of their dissertation projects together to share work in-progress and encourage ongoing writing production.
Writing Groups typically consist of four members including a group leader. Participants must be in the writing phase of their dissertations or theses and be available to meet eight times per semester to workshop group members’ writing on a rotating basis. Each group will determine meeting schedules and expectations.
Dissertation Writing Group Leaders
Those interested in becoming group leaders must provide additional information with their applications. Dissertation Writing Group Leaders’ duties include:
- Participating in 3 training sessions with the DWG coordinators: Louis Cicciarelli and Simone Sessolo;
- Managing the logistics of the writing group;
- Facilitating group sessions and coordinating correspondence among group members.
Leaders earn a $600 stipend for their services. If you would like more information about the group leader position before applying, contact Simone Sessolo (email@example.com) or Louis Cicciarelli (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Read about former Dissertation Writing Groups participant experiences
- Molly B. Parsons "Dissertation Writing Groups Are Not Committees"
- Sarah Swofford "How a Dissertation Writing Group Can Help You"
- Antje Gamble "Building a Writing Community with a Sweetland Dissertation Writing Group"
- Konstantina Mary Karageorgos "A Reminder to Dissertation Writers: Sharing Matters"
Please fill out the application form.
- Applications are due Thursday, September 6th.
- Mandatory orientation session Tuesday, September 19th from 4-5pm in NQ 2435