In collaboration with the Rackham Graduate School, the Sweetland Center for Writing coordinates several student-led writing groups for graduate students writing their dissertations. These interdisciplinary writing groups provide structured support in a facilitated peer-based setting to aid dissertators working through long-term projects.
Dissertation Writing Groups (DWG)
Dissertation Writing Groups place writers from various disciplines but in similar stages of their dissertation projects together to share work in-progress and encourage ongoing writing production. Groups will also be organized based on student meeting mode preference (in-person or remote).
Dissertation Writing Groups consist of five members including a group leader. Participants must be in the writing phase of their dissertations and available to meet at least eight times per semester to workshop group members’ writing on a rotating basis. Each group will determine meeting schedules and expectations.
Dissertation Writing Group Leaders
Those interested in becoming group leaders must provide additional information with their applications. Dissertation Writing Group Leaders’ duties include:
- Participating in 3 training sessions with the DWG coordinators.
- Managing the logistics of the writing group;
- Facilitating group sessions and coordinating correspondence among group members.
Leaders earn a $600 stipend for their services. If you would like more information about the group leader position before applying, contact Stephanie Moody (firstname.lastname@example.org) or April Conway (email@example.com).
Read about former Dissertation Writing Groups participant experiences
- Juan Udaondo Alegre "Inside the Dissertation Writing Groups"
- Molly B. Parsons "Dissertation Writing Groups Are Not Committees"
- The application deadline for Fall 2022 is Sunday, August 28, 2022.
- Leaders and participants will be notified of acceptance by September 2, 2022.
- All accepted students participate in a virtual orientation session on Thursday, September 15th at 5:00pm EST.