The Sustainable Living Experience (SLE) is a new U-M Theme Community dedicated to providing an inclusive and immersive environment for students to develop lifelong leadership in sustainability and environmental justice. SLE aims to foster a culture of sustainability where it is based, at Oxford Houses, and across all of campus. Towards this end SLE will integrate sustainability programming into the freshman experience, increase the presence and visibility of sustainability initiatives on campus, and establish a community of engaged learners which will continue to further sustainability efforts at U-M and beyond.
- Develop a diverse, equitable and inclusive campus community that supports residential experiences in sustainable practices
- Build a culture of sustainability at the University of Michigan
- Support student led projects and programming related to sustainability
- Facilitate dialogues and experiences that build understandings of justice as an essential part of sustainability and climate change
- Develop deeper understandings of personal and civic responsibility in shaping a more vibrant and just planet and future
- Support lifelong sustainability leadership that is cultivated from a students’ very first day at U-M
Towards these ends, students are expected to:
- Live at Oxford Houses.
- Enroll in the SLE Seminar.
- Be an active member of the community by participating in SLE sponsored programs and events (once per month is the suggested minimum).
- Contribute to an inclusive community environment welcoming of all participants and their diverse identities.
- Play an active role in building a sustainable community and sustainability projects at SLE.