Affiliate appointments in CSS are intended to establish mutually beneficial relationships between CSS and prominent scholars and teachers from other units of the University who have partnered with CSS in substantive research endeavors that are associated with the mission of CSS and have been funded through or in association with CSS. Appointments as affiliates will last for three years and are renewable upon review.
Conditions of an Affiliate Appointment in CSS:
1. The appointment carries no budgetary commitment on the part of CSS aside from funds associated with grant-supported research.
2. The appointment does not a priori include office space in CSS.
Request for an Affiliate Appointment:
1. A tenured or tenure track faculty member with an appointment in another UM department, school or college should submit a current curriculum vitae and brief letter requesting such an appointment to the CSS Director.
1. CSS Director will conduct a review with the assistance of the CSS Associate Director and decide on whether to grant an affiliate appointment.
Privileges of an Affiliate Appointment in CSS:
1. The faculty member may use the title “Affiliate of CSS”
2. Office space during period of affiliation, contingent on availability
3. Access to resources available in and through CSS
4. Participation in a community of scholars, including roundtables, seminars, and colloquia
Expectations of Faculty with Affiliate Appointments:
Faculty Affiliates may be approached periodically to participate in CSS activities. They may do so in many ways, including:
1. Attendance at and participation in staff and research team meetings
2. Invited to give a talk, brown bag or presentation about their work to CSS
3. Involvement in grant development and proposal writing
4. Showcase, advertise, promote work of affiliates
5. Other as deemed mutually beneficial