Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Guide

Step 1: Will the credits transfer to Michigan?

Determine if the course has been evaluated by the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions Credit Evaluators. If it has, the course will be listed on the Transfer Equivalencies web page with information on if and how it transfers to U-M.

If the course is not listed on the Transfer Equivalency web page, you need to have the course evaluated by the Credit Evaluators. Follow instructions on the Office of Undergraduate Admission's Transfer Credit Equivalency Form to submit your course information for pre-evaluation by Admissions.

Step 2: Will the credits count in Sociology?

If the Transfer Equivalency web page indicates that the course will transfer directly as a Sociology course (e.g. SOC 100, SOC 210, SOC 303), you do not need to do anything.

If the evaluation indicates that the course will transfer as 200-level or higher "SOC DEPT" credit (e.g. SOC 201X, SOC 301X), it will count as a general sociology major elective. We may need to enter an exception for the course to populate correctly on your LSA audit checklist.

How will the credits count in Sociology?

If you would like SOC DEPT or STATS 201X credits to count as a Sociology prerequisite, stats requirement, upper-level major elective, minor course, or sub-major elective, submit a course petition form along with a current syllabus (complete with a reading list and weekly topics) to The Director of Undergraduate Studies will evaluate the petition and syllabus. If approved, the transfer course will count as a Sociology requirement via department exception. 

Important Notes:

  • All approvals are tentative until the course is complete; neither the University nor the Department of Sociology can officially grant credit until the transfer credit appears on your U-M transcript. If your petition is approved but the course is not yet posted on your transcript, let the department know when the course is posted so we can enter an exception. 
  • A maximum of 15 Soc transfer credits may be counted toward the major. A maximum of 6 Soc transfer credits can count toward the LJSC or SHM minors. The College of LSA has specific rules about the number of credit hours that may be transferred toward the overall bachelor’s degree.
  • STATS 180 via AP credit is not accepted in the major. Students who take SOC 210 or STATS 250 will lose credit for STATS 180. To keep credit for both courses, students should take STATS 280 to fulfill the major stats requirement.