SiD.10 Schedule of Events (subject to change)
**Unless otherwise noted, ALL events will take place at the Cass Corridor Commons (4605 Cass Ave.)
Thursday, April 4th
- 7:00pm - Detroiters Speak, “The New Abolition Movement” featuring remarks from Amanda Alexander, UM Law School and Director, Detroit Justice Center. Other speakers from the No New Jails Coalition will also share remarks and ways to become involved
- 9:30pm - Jazz open-mic at Bert’s in the Market
Friday, April 5th
- 4:00pm-7:00pm - Registration/check-in
- 7:00pm - Thank You dinner for Semester in Detroit “Instigators” - Middle Eastern spread from our friends at Harmony Garden Cafe.
- 8:00pm - Round-table discussion on origins of Semester in Detroit and reflections on UM’s growing footprints in Detroit since SiD began in 2008. Moderated by Stephen Ward, SID Faculty Director and Katey Carey (SiD Winter ‘14) w/ Charlie Bright, Rachael Tanner, Aditi Sagdeo Murthy, Molly McCullough, Jaime Nelson, Jen Cowhy (SiD Winter ‘09), and Jawuan Meeks.
Saturday, April 6th
- 8:30am-10:00am - Registration/check-in
- 9:30am-11:30am - Neighborhood breakfast chats with SiD Alumni. Enjoy local pastries and coffee while learning from SiD alumni and their neighbors who live and work in all corners of the city. Note: if needed, transportation will be provided from the Cass Corridor Commons to any of these four locations.
1. Southwest Detroit w/ Lisa Tencer (SiD Spring ‘13): Come to Lisa's house right next to Clark Park to learn more about her work with Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, and the dynamic neighborhoods (and yummy Mexican bakeries!) in Southwest Detroit.
2. Old Redford w/ Dani Wilson (SiD Spring ‘12): Come to Dani's house in the Old Redford neighborhood meet some of her neighbors and to learn more about what's happening in Northwest Detroit. Rumor has it there may be yummy goodies from Sweet Potato Sensations.
3. Woodbridge w/ Sam Morykwas (SiD Spring ‘12): Come to Sam's house in the Woodbridge neighborhood to learn more his work with Eastern Market, and to learn and sample from local business owners, including: Pie Sci and Bikes and Coffee.
4. Island View/Eastside w/ Katey Carey (SiD Winter ‘14): Come to Katey's house in the lower east-side and spend some time with her neighbors at the Taproot Sanctuary. Note: folks who choose this option should come planning to do light outdoor work.
- 11:30am-2:30pm - Free time for lunch with friends, trips around city, or self-organized activities at Cass Corridor Commons. Got an idea? We will post it on the Commons’ Community Board.
- 2:30pm-5:30pm - Detroit Community Learning Activities w/ SiD Faculty and Friends (choose one)
1. Cass Corridor historical tour w/ Baba Jamon Jordon of the Black Scroll Network and SiD
Faculty Director, Stephen Ward.
2. Creative Writing Workshop w/ SiD Faculty member, Darcy Brandel and Rose Gorman
of the Tuxedo Project. (Workshop will be held at 7124 Tuxedo, Detroit’s Westside).
3. Healing Justice Workshop w/ Diana Copeland, SID Faculty Member, and friends,
Zoe Villegas and Christy Bieber.
- 7:00pm-10:00pm - Detroit Community Celebration Dinner and Drinks (catered by Guerrilla Food) and Public Discussion on UM’s Growing Presence in Detroit. Speakers include: Darryl Jordan, Janet Jones, Larissa Richardson (SiD Winter ‘11), Malik Yakini, Kadesha Baker, and Simone Sagovac.
- 10:00pm-12:00am - Music, dancing and fun in D. Blair Theater with DJ Sam Morykwas (SiD Spring ‘12).
Sunday, April 7th
- 9:30am-11:00am - Breakfast open house at Commons (From Avalon Bakery, where else?)
- 11:00am-12:30pm - Small group reflection dialogues facilitated by SiD Alumni - Emily Zonder (Fall ‘17), Alexis Lowe (Fall ‘15) and Katey Carey (Winter ‘14)
- 12:30pm-2:00pm - Large group lunch w/ continued visioning and general discussion about SiD’s next decade and beyond. Vegan lunch (that meat-eaters will love!) will be provided by Rocky’s Road Brew.