- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- SiD’s Differential Impact: Meet Erica and Kira (SiD Fall ‘18)
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- SiD Collaborates with the Rackham Program in Public Scholarship
- Meet Ujijji Davis, SiD Spring ‘19 Guest Lecturer
- Welcome Our Spring/Summer 2019 Cohort
- Thanks for Making SiD.10 a Smash Success!
- GVSU Completes Successful Pilot Program - Semester in Grand Rapids
- Congratulations, Jon Quintal from UM-Dearborn!
- Welcome, Fall 2019 Cohort!
- All Events
On behalf of the entire Semester in Detroit community, we would like to congratulate our colleagues at Grand Valley State University (GVSU) for the successful launch and completion this past summer of the pilot semester of their inaugural Semester in Grand Rapids Program. Since we first welcomed GVSU students into SiD during the fall 2016 semester, we have been looking forward to the development of GVSU’s “sister-city” urban studies immersion program in Grand Rapids.
The Semester in Grand Rapids program model was developed by Kristin Moretto (Director of the Office for Community Partnerships and Student Professional Development, Brooks College) along with the support of several GVSU staff and faculty. SiD’s Associate Director, Craig Regester, provided extensive consultation and guidance to GVSU in the course of developing the program model over the past two years. The concept was originally conceived by Anne Hiskes, the former Dean of GVSU’s Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies. Special thanks should be given to Mark Schaub (Interim Dean, Brooks College), who provided important support during the initial pilot and guidance on the future sustainability of the program. SiD looks forward to the second summer of Semester in Grand Rapids next year, and the possibility to welcome UM-students into the program.