- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- SiD’s Differential Impact: Meet Erica and Kira (SiD Fall ‘18)
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- SiD Collaborates with the Rackham Program in Public Scholarship
- Meet Ujijji Davis, SiD Spring ‘19 Guest Lecturer
- Welcome Our Spring/Summer 2019 Cohort
- Thanks for Making SiD.10 a Smash Success!
- GVSU Completes Successful Pilot Program - Semester in Grand Rapids
- Congratulations, Jon Quintal from UM-Dearborn!
- Welcome, Fall 2019 Cohort!
- "The Number One Thing Every Detroiter Must Do (Or, a History of Detroit)"
- Leaders and Best? Questioning the UM “Detroit Center for Innovation”
- A week in the life of a SiD student - spring/summer edition!
- All Events
We, the faculty and staff of Semester in Detroit, vehemently oppose Richard Spencer and white supremacy in all their violent and nefarious forms. We stand in solidarity with students organizing to Stop Spencer from coming to our university. We believe it would be impossible to provide a safe environment for students and the university community at-large were Spencer to come to campus. Of course, we understand that simply denying Spencer’s request will not make our campus safe for marginalized students. However insufficient, we believe this is a fundamentally necessary step in the longer-term fight against the disease of institutionalized racism and systemic white supremacy of which Spencer is a mere opportunistic and symptomatic scab. By granting Spencer the opportunity to speak on our campus, the university would be sanctioning, however unintentionally, the further emotional, and possibly physical, traumatization of our students and the larger university community; moreover, we would be undermining our own best efforts toward creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable campus community. Therefore, we call on our university to respect our students’ lived expertise when they say they will not be safe and deny Spencer’s request to speak on campus.
Semester in Detroit faculty & staff