- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- A week in the life of a SiD student - spring/summer edition!
- Alumni Perspective: Ali Elatrache
- Alumni Perspective: Natalie Suh
- Alumni Perspective: Hannah Myers
- SiD Moves Around Detroit
- SiD Welcomes Jamon Jordan to Faculty
- SiD's Quad-Campus Collaboration
- SiD Expands Curriculum in 2022
- Alumni Perspective: Alana Burke
- Alumni Perspective: Mekulash Baron-Galbavi
- Thank You, Rion Berger!
- 25th Cohort Wraps Up!
- SiD26 Gets Out of the Classroom
- SiD Welcomes Rose Gorman and Neil Kagerer
- Briana Hurt - UM-Dearborn and SiD28 Alum
- Semester in Detroit offers inclusive and immersive educational experiences
- All Events
We, the faculty and staff of Semester in Detroit, vehemently oppose Richard Spencer and white supremacy in all their violent and nefarious forms. We stand in solidarity with students organizing to Stop Spencer from coming to our university. We believe it would be impossible to provide a safe environment for students and the university community at-large were Spencer to come to campus. Of course, we understand that simply denying Spencer’s request will not make our campus safe for marginalized students. However insufficient, we believe this is a fundamentally necessary step in the longer-term fight against the disease of institutionalized racism and systemic white supremacy of which Spencer is a mere opportunistic and symptomatic scab. By granting Spencer the opportunity to speak on our campus, the university would be sanctioning, however unintentionally, the further emotional, and possibly physical, traumatization of our students and the larger university community; moreover, we would be undermining our own best efforts toward creating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable campus community. Therefore, we call on our university to respect our students’ lived expertise when they say they will not be safe and deny Spencer’s request to speak on campus.
Semester in Detroit faculty & staff