- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- "The Number One Thing Every Detroiter Must Do (Or, a History of Detroit)"
- Leaders and Best? Questioning the UM “Detroit Center for Innovation”
- A week in the life of a SiD student - spring/summer edition!
- Student Perspective: Choosing a Fall Semester in Detroit
- Beyond Land Acknowledgements
- Detroiters Speak Debut at the New General Baker Institute
- Welcome, Kim Sherobbi - New SiD Community Advisor
- Five Reasons to Do Semester in Detroit in the Fall
- Attention Community Partners: SiD Spring Program Cancelled
- What's Next for Detroiters Speak?
- With Solidarity from Semester in Detroit
- Looking for some remote engagement with Detroit this spring semester?
- Wrapping Up Spring Courses
- Coming this Fall: Semester in Detroit - The Hybrid Edition
- Congratulations, Student Recruitment Team Grads!
- Movement for Black Lives: Reflections, Statements, and Resources
- U-M in the Era of Black Lives Matter & Mass Incarceration
- Congrats Jaylah Davis - 4th Annual Recipient of the General Baker Scholarship!
- SiD Fall 2020 Goes Virtual (Join the club!)
- Alumni Perspective: Ali Elatrache
- Reflections on Voter Outreach with Frontline Detroit
- Alumni Perspective: Natalie Suh
- Faculty Contribution: "Heart Sutra"
- Alumni Perspective: Hannah Myers
- Wrapping up Fall 2020 with the Core Four
- Special Election Year Interview w/ Taylor-Ryan Nedd, SiD 2015 Alumna
- Spend Fall in Detroit!
- Welcome Our Spring/Summer 2021 Cohort!
- SiD Moves Around Detroit
- SiD Welcomes Jamon Jordan to Faculty
- SiD's Quad-Campus Collaboration
- SiD Expands Curriculum in 2022
- All Events
Major: Business Administration and Psychology (dual degree)
From: Detroit, MI
Most interested in: Learning about Detroit's history
Fun Fact: I love Dancing!
From: Kalamazoo, MI
Why Detroit: I am excited to spend the summer in Detroit because I think it's a great city that has a lot to offer for someone at this stage in my education (I have a lot to learn) and because I want to surround myself with like-minded people!
Fun Fact: I really love spending time outdoors and hiking, biking, climbing, skiing, pretty much any fun outdoor activity.
My name is Julia Gaynor and I am a Junior from Evanston, IL in the Residential College majoring in Women’s Studies with a focus on globalization and indigenous populations. I am interested in getting to know the city of Detroit because of it’s rich organizing history and the united sense of community that continues to inspire and intrigue individuals, like me, to this day. Outside of my studies, I am an avid backpacker, backcountry skier, and cyclist—I’m pumped to get to know the city through biking around town! I am also super excited to seek out the music scene in Detroit this summer.
Major: Screen Arts and Cultures
Year: Sophomore in the RC
I chose Semester in Detroit because I have lived in Michigan my whole life and know almost nothing about the city of Detroit. I'm most excited to bike around the city this Spring and visit the Eastern Market as much as I can! A fun fact about myself is that watermelon is my favorite food!
I'm Chanelle Davis from Ecorse, MI. I plan on majoring in psychology and minoring in African American studies. I'm a student in the Michigan Research Community, assisting with a sociology-based research project under Michigan's family and demographics department. I love kids and want to work with them in one way or another in the future. I'm interested in Detroit because I lived there for some time and want to know more about its history and how I can become an active member in its future development. I'm most looking forward to the events that will be held throughout the spring/summer in Detroit. A fun fact about me is that I know some Tae Kwon Do!
I was born and raised in Ann Arbor, MI and I’m studying Creative Writing and Literature in the RC along with a German minor and Urban Studies minor. I’m most excited to be a sponge in the city, taking in all that it will offer me with open arms! I'm looking forward to working with and learning from Detroiters and experiencing Detroit through their stories and friendship, as well as forming my own relationship with the city, too.
Fun fact(s): I am the youngest in my family, excluding my 16 year old poodle, Chewy, who seems to be immortal. Before I was a Wolverine, I was a Rainbow Zebra, and very, very proud of that fact.
Hey, I'm Nick Aquino, a junior studying PPE (Philosophy, Politics, and Economics) with a planned minor in Afro-American and African Studies and Urban Studies. I'm an international student from Sydney, Australia and previously lived in Tokyo, Japan. Also, I was born in D.C., although I moved away when I was very young. I'm very excited about Semester in Detroit because it will hopefully allow me to engage with, and learn from, struggling communities directly- real world experience which I think is a necessary compliment to academic study. I believe this experience will help me moving forward in a career in public interest law.
I am a rising junior majoring in Program in the Environment. I am from Ovid, MI, a small town with more cows than people. Environmental and transportation planning are the focus of my studies. I love baseball and swimming, I volunteer at a leadership camp and I'm a member of Epsilon Eta, an environmental professional fraternity. I'm interested in Detroit because I want to learn more about urban life and communities. By participating in Semester in Detroit, I will have an opportunity to immerse myself into the city and culture, learn from the community members and make myself a more understanding person.
Fun Fact: I'm obsessed with House of Cards.
My name is Jordyn Fishman. I am a student in the Penny Stamps School of Art and Design. I am interested in Semester in Detroit because I have an instinctive, gut feeling about the city. When I am there, it feels right. The city has a pull on me that continues to strengthen my yearning to be a part of the Detroit community.
My name is Danielle Weitzman and I am a junior studying architecture with a minor in urban studies. I am from Cleveland, Ohio. I am most excited about getting to know Detroit better this summer while studying and working in the community.
Fun Fact: My favorite TV show is M*A*S*H
Majors: Social Theory & Practice, Spanish
From: Belleville, MI.
I'm interested in Detroit because: the media always portrays the city in such a negative light, and I know that there is so much more than that.
Fun fact: I play trumpet in the Michigan Marching Band!
My name is Tamara and I'm part of the Program in the Environment major with a concentration in Public Health. I'm from Ann Arbor and went to Pioneer High School right across the street from the Big House! I'm interested and excited to spend my summer in Detroit because it has been my next door neighbor for 20 years and I've never really spent time there or learned about the history of the city. I'm also excited to live in and get to know a new city for a few months because I stayed in my hometown for college. A fun fact about myself, and I don't mean to brag, but my first concert was Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers. Clearly I need help with my musical knowledge, another good reason to live in Detroit for the summer.
Hometown: Edison, NJ
Studying: Cognitive Science, Urban Studies, Computer Science
I'm excited for Detroit because: it's always been a city that I've been interested in. Many people say many different things about the city, and so I want to know for myself what I think of it and learn from its people and the internship I'll be doing.
Fun Fact: I like to go for a run at really late; there was once I went running at around 2:00 in the morning.