- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- SiD’s Differential Impact: Meet Erica and Kira (SiD Fall ‘18)
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- SiD Collaborates with the Rackham Program in Public Scholarship
- Meet Ujijji Davis, SiD Spring ‘19 Guest Lecturer
- Welcome Our Spring/Summer 2019 Cohort
- Thanks for Making SiD.10 a Smash Success!
- GVSU Completes Successful Pilot Program - Semester in Grand Rapids
- Congratulations, Jon Quintal from UM-Dearborn!
- Welcome, Fall 2019 Cohort!
- "The Number One Thing Every Detroiter Must Do (Or, a History of Detroit)"
- Leaders and Best? Questioning the UM “Detroit Center for Innovation”
- A week in the life of a SiD student - spring/summer edition!
- All Events
Many people know that Semester in Detroit (SiD) is a transformative urban studies theory-meets-practice immersion in which students take classes in Detroit about Detroit while interning with a community organization and living in the Cass Corridor.
But how else do students engage and experience Detroit? What do students do for fun?
In the initial weeks of the program, students have dinners at the Detroit homes of program faculty, go bowling with SiD alumni who live and/or work in Detroit, eat lots of goodies from Avalon Bakery, and meet many friends of the program. Each week, students are provided with a carefully curated list of recommended events and activities, most of which are free or low-cost. Moreover, thanks to a generous donor, each SiD student in our fall program (sorry spring students!) has free access to up to five ticketed events in Detroit during the semester. Students can go to orchestral performances, operas, rock concerts, broadway musicals, special exhibits at the DIA, and much more. Just last fall, students saw Something Rotten at the Fisher Theatre and John Legend at the Fox Theatre. In Detroit the possibilities are endless!
Do you really need any more reasons to apply for the fall Semester in Detroit Program?
The priority deadline is February 28, 2019; and the final deadline to apply is March 31, 2019.