- All News
- Search News
- Archived News
- What's it like to spend a week in the life of a fall SiD student?
- "The Number One Thing Every Detroiter Must Do (Or, a History of Detroit)"
- Leaders and Best? Questioning the UM “Detroit Center for Innovation”
- A week in the life of a SiD student - spring/summer edition!
- Student Perspective: Choosing a Fall Semester in Detroit
- Beyond Land Acknowledgements
- Detroiters Speak Debut at the New General Baker Institute
- Welcome, Kim Sherobbi - New SiD Community Advisor
- Five Reasons to Do Semester in Detroit in the Fall
- Attention Community Partners: SiD Spring Program Cancelled
- What's Next for Detroiters Speak?
- With Solidarity from Semester in Detroit
- Looking for some remote engagement with Detroit this spring semester?
- Wrapping Up Spring Courses
- Coming this Fall: Semester in Detroit - The Hybrid Edition
- Congratulations, Student Recruitment Team Grads!
- Movement for Black Lives: Reflections, Statements, and Resources
- U-M in the Era of Black Lives Matter & Mass Incarceration
- Congrats Jaylah Davis - 4th Annual Recipient of the General Baker Scholarship!
- SiD Fall 2020 Goes Virtual (Join the club!)
- Alumni Perspective: Ali Elatrache
- Reflections on Voter Outreach with Frontline Detroit
- Alumni Perspective: Natalie Suh
- Faculty Contribution: "Heart Sutra"
- Alumni Perspective: Hannah Myers
- Wrapping up Fall 2020 with the Core Four
- Special Election Year Interview w/ Taylor-Ryan Nedd, SiD 2015 Alumna
- Spend Fall in Detroit!
- Welcome Our Spring/Summer 2021 Cohort!
- SiD Moves Around Detroit
- SiD Welcomes Jamon Jordan to Faculty
- SiD's Quad-Campus Collaboration
- SiD Expands Curriculum in 2022
- All Events
The following article was originally featured in the April 2013 edition of the Semester in Detroit E-news.
Spring 2013 Students Get A Taste of Detroit
(Above) The newest editions to the Semester in Detroit family show off their Southwest Detroit-inspired Community Dinner for alumni, faculty and current students at the Cass Commons.
Traditions run strong in Semester in Detroit’s five year history. This past March 22nd -24th, the new Spring 2013 cohort carried on the Semester in Detroit Immersion Weekend tradition of breaking the ice, engaging with the community, and enjoying Detroit.
With the hospitality of East Michigan Environmental Action Council (EMEAC), Students gathered Friday at The Cass Commons to nosh pizza and get to know their neighbors. After a long Saturday of shopping at Eastern Market and Honey Bee Market, volunteering for Detroit Partnership Day 2013, and budgeting time for cooking and showers, the new cohort hosted 60 program alumni, faculty and participants at the SID Community Dinner.
Over squash soup and hand-assembled tacos, the Semester in Detroit community said congratulations to the new 24 students with an exchange of “Hot Tips” for making the most of their time in Detroit. Like the dinner itself, the passing of wisdom from seasoned SID participants to newcomers will continue to nourish the SID community for years to come.
Subscribe to the Semester in Detroit E-news here.