LSA first-year students are automatically considered for scholarship support, including Kessler awards, based on Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid information. Students who are selected for scholarship awards will be notified by LSA Scholarship staff and advised about next steps.
How are Kessler Scholars selected?
All Kessler Scholars are selected based upon their accomplishments, financial need, status as a first-generation college student, and potential to become successful campus leaders. The LSA Scholarship Office reviews your admissions essays, recommendations, and records of achievement, specifically seeking:
- high academic and personal accomplishments
- distinct leadership skills and service to others
- the ability to overcome adversity
- promising capability to contribute to and benefit from the diverse Kessler Scholars community
All students selected for the Kessler Presidential Scholarship will be notified between January and Mid-March and advised of next steps to accept the award.
Benefits and expectations of the Kessler Scholarship
The Kessler Scholarship is renewable for four years (eight semesters) and provides students with the opportunity to become a member of the greater University of Michigan community. As a Kessler Scholar, you will be invited to participate in:
- academic and professional workshops
- opportunities for experiential education, study abroad, and internship programs
- mentorship and service projects to help you grow and thrive
- academic and financial support services