The Kessler Scholars Program selects 40 new students each year to receive the Kessler Presidential Scholarship and join this unique community of support. Incoming students to the College of LSA who are the first in their family to pursue a four-year degree and who have financial need are invited soon after admissions to complete an application to the Kessler Scholars through the LSA Scholarships Four-Year Renewable Scholarship Program.
Click here for more details on how that application process works, including how to create a
U-M Friend Account to apply for scholarships and financial aid.
How are Kessler Scholars selected?
All Kessler Scholars are selected based upon their accomplishments, financial need, status as a first-generation college student, and potential to become successful campus leaders. The Kessler Scholars team reviews your scholarship application responses, admissions essays, recommendations, and records of achievement, specifically seeking:
- high academic and personal accomplishments
- distinct leadership skills and service to others
- the ability to overcome adversity
- promising capability to contribute to and benefit from the diverse Kessler Scholars community
Students selected for the Kessler Presidential Scholarship are notified on a rolling basis from early March through late April and advised of next steps to accept the award.
Benefits and expectations of the Kessler Scholars Program
The Kessler Scholarship is renewable for four years (eight semesters) and provides students with the opportunity to become a member of the greater University of Michigan community. As a Kessler Scholar, you will be invited to participate in:
- academic and professional workshops
- opportunities for experiential education, study abroad, and internship programs
- mentorship and service projects to help you grow and thrive
- academic and financial support services