Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Advising FAQs

FAQs About RLL Advising

General advising

If you have questions about major/minor requirements or course selection, or are considering studying abroad, you should make a general advising appointment.

Faculty advising

If you need a pre-evaluation of study abroad or domestic transfer credits, a major or minor release for graduation, or are returning from a study abroad program, you will meet with a faculty advisor.

Am I required to see an advisor?


  • An advising appointment is required to have study abroad and domestic transfer courses pre-evaluated, as well as to have a final evaluation of the course(s) completed once the credits appear on the UM transcript. 
  • An advising appointment is also required to have a release completed for graduation.


  • An advising appointment is not required to declare a major or minor in RLL.  You can come to the RLL Main Office, Monday-Friday between 8-5.
  • It is strongly encouraged to make a general advising appointment to discuss degree requirements/options and to develop a plan for degree completion. 

Should I see the same advisor each time?

Yes, if the advisors availability matches yours you should try to meet with the same advisor each time, especially concerning evaluations for transfer credit and study abroad courses. However, notes about previous appointments are communicated between advisors, so seeing a different advisor is possible. 

What if I need to meet with someone or discuss an issue right away?

We strongly encourage students to plan wisely in order to avoid last-minute emergencies. If you have an urgent advising question, please contact the undergraduate student services team at

What should I do if I cannot keep my appointment?

Please cancel your appointment online or call the RLL Main Office at (734) 764-5344 as soon as you know that you need to cancel. Please be courteous and call ahead!

Questions? Contact us at