Hello, incoming RC-ers! I'm sure you're all excited as you get ready to come here. Besides preparing for the actual school part, packing for your dorm is (in my opinion) the most difficult part of getting ready for college. So, to help you feel more relaxed before your parents start stressing you out, here is a categorized list of some essential items you should have in your room.
Sleep & Bedding
- Twin XL sheets (two sets means you can wash one and have the other ready to go)
- Twin XL comforter/quilt
- Blanket(s) (bring something cozy to make your space feel like home!)
- Pillow(s) and case(s)
Furniture & Utilities
- Closet and desk organizers
- *Mini fridge
- *Comfy chair
- *Carpet or Rug
- *Mini vacuum cleaner (mainly for the carpet)
- Utensils and dishes (besides the ones you'll inevitably "borrow" from the dining hall)
*Note: Coordinate with your roommate on these items since you probably only need one of each!
- Chargers (laptop, phone, etc.)
- Desk lamp
- Extension cords
- Shower caddy
- Shower shoes or sandals
- Shampoo, conditioner, soap, all of that
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
Fun Stuff! Make the space your home...
- Fairy lights, polaroids, 1940s war propaganda… I've seen it all.
- One thing I've noticed, RC people = plant people.
I lived in Center House for both my first and second years, and I met a lot of my friends right around the corner in Hinsdale House. Once I figured out how to use the space, my rooms felt like my own and I had a great living experience. These are all items that I brought with me, so they're tried and true!
Anyway, I hope this list helps you get started! Your dorm is your home, your shoe box-shaped sanctuary for deep convos with your roommate, long naps, and the occasional good cry. Make it fun and make it your own!
Questions or concerns? Check out the full packing list on the Housing website!