An internship is a limited time period of work experience offered by an organization. They are typically undertaken by students and graduates looking to gain relevant skills and experience in a particular field.
Why consider an internship?
- Real Life Experience and Exposure
- Try out a career/research
- Build your network and acquire mentors (more in Networking page)
- Employers look for internships on your resume
- Transition into a full time position
- Internship may be part of the interview process
Internships can be secured in many types of organizations. You can find an internship in many ways, some of which are outlined below (linked websites are a starting point and are not endorsed by the Department)
Look out for email announcements from PitE Advisors
Attend a University of Michigan Career Fair
- University of Michigan Career Center Fall and Winter Fairs
- University of Michigan SEAS Winter Term Career Fair: Green Career Fair