- Coaching and Drop-Ins
- Courses and Credit
- Internship Program
- Events and Workshops
- Connect with Alumni
- Join Our Student Team
Up to $5,000 in funding is available to cover the cost of interning through the LSA Internship Scholarship. (In 2017 we awarded more than $1 million!) These scholarships are made possible thanks to generous donations from U-M alumni and supporters.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis between January 3 and May 24, 2019. To learn more about eligibility requirements, frequently asked questions, or to apply, visit the LSA Scholarships page.
Both you and your internship must meet the eligibility requirements in order to be considered for the LSA Internship Scholarship. Eligibility requirements are as follows:
In order for YOU to be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be an undergraduate student enrolled in a degree program (major) of the College of LSA or be an LSA Undeclared student (NOTE: students pursuing a minor only in LSA do not qualify)
- Be returning to LSA as an enrolled undergraduate student in the fall term following the internship (NOTE: students participating in an internship after graduation do not qualify)
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident (green-card holder)
- Have a FAFSA and CSS Profile on file with the Office of Financial Aid
- Be eligible for and receive need-based support through the Office of Financial Aid
- Secure an internship prior to applying for the scholarship (internships do not need to come through the LSA Internship/International Internship programs; placement may come from an external source)
In order for YOUR INTERNSHIP to be eligible for this scholarship, it must:
- Require you to work at least 25 hours per week
- Be a minimum of 6 weeks in duration
Your internship may be domestic OR international, paid OR unpaid, and for credit OR not-for-credit. LSA Internship Scholarships are meant to support students during their internship experience and are not meant to supplement travel outside of the internship destination.
How to Apply
The application for the LSA Internship Scholarship opens at the beginning of the winter semester and closes in the spring semester. Applications are considered on a rolling basis.
This year’s application has two parts:
- Applicants complete the General Application and Select either “US-Based Internship” or “International Internship” depending on the location of the internship.
- Once the General Application has been completed and submitted, applicants will then be directed to complete the Conditional Application that matches the type of scholarship they selected in the General Application (either “US-Based Internship” or “International Internship”). Applicants should complete and submit the appropriate Conditional Application.
Submitted applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Eligible applicants should expect to hear from the review committee within one month after submitting their application. The final deadline to submit applications is May 24, 2019.
Scholarship Requirements and Award Disbursements
Once awarded, scholarship recipients must complete the requirements listed below.
Accept your Award
Please follow the instructions included in your award email in order to accept your scholarship within Academic Works and register your internship in the LSA Opportunity Network. Please be aware that LSA cannot disburse your award until you accept the scholarship and complete all pre-disbursement requirements.
Complete Additional Pre-Disbursement Requirements for International Internships
All students interning abroad must complete U-M mandated health and safety requirements via the M-Compass Internship/Work Registry, including purchasing (and providing proof of enrollment for) GeoBlue U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance for the entire duration of your internship, providing a copy of your passport, entering an itinerary record to show where you will be for what dates, and contact information for while you are abroad.
Disbursement of Scholarship
The College of LSA will disburse your scholarship once you accept your award and complete all pre-disbursement requirements. LSA Internship Scholarships (both international and US-Based) are typically disbursed at the beginning of the Spring term.
If after you have accepted your award and completed all pre-disbursement requirements, you have any specific questions about when your scholarship funds will be disbursed, please contact the LSA Scholarship Office (LSAscholarships@umich.edu). NOTE: For students planning on registering for classes in the Spring/Summer term, please know that this may affect when and how your internship scholarship will be disbursed.
Internship Reflection and Post-Experience
Internship Scholarship recipients are required to earn 100 points in Yellowdig by posting internship reflections and commenting. Information about using Yellowdig during your internship is sent by email prior to the start of your internship.
Scholarship recipients will also be required to complete a post-experience survey about your internship and participate in an activity or writing exercise in the Fall to express gratitude to the scholarship donors.