- All News
- Search News
- Student News
- Navigating "No"
- How to Handle Internship Rejection
- Making Meaningful Connections
- Finding Career Clarity
- Unveiling the Hub's Brand New Home
- Globalize your liberal arts education this summer in Dublin
- CANCELLED: Industry Insiders on Mar. 13
- Intern Spotlight: Adam Seltzer
- What LSA students are saying about the ALA 325 course
- Intern Spotlight: Natalie Suh
- In-person, drop-in coaching is paused until further notice
- Our coaches are online and ready to provide virtual coaching
- April Virtual Alumni Connections
- Gain critical leadership experience as a Hub ambassador
- What can LSA students be doing right now to further their career goals?
- Virtual internships in spring and summer of 2020 are now eligible for funding
- May Virtual Alumni Connections
- Get a first look into the upcoming release of LSA’s new mentoring platform
- Sign up for June's coach-led workshops
- Why early career exploration really matters
- Alum Story: Discover how this 2009 English grad secured his first job during the housing market crash
- Alum Story: Find out how this LSA alum turned his ‘baseball’ career aspirations into a reality
- August's Employer Connections
- What’s ‘Happening’ virtually this Fall at the LSA Opportunity Hub
- Discover what LSA’s online community has been buzzing about
- RSVP for Fall's career-building workshops
- Fostering career connections from home
- A transformation from on-site and in-person to virtual and remote
- Alum Story: Hear how this LSA alum and Detroit native transformed tragedy into human achievement
- Alum Story: From schoolcraft to statecraft
- Connecting all Corners
- LSA Connect turns six months!
- Host an LSA student’s virtual internship this summer
- More than $350,000 awarded to LSA students as virtual internship support
- Are virtual internships as valuable as on-site ones? The experts weigh in with a resounding “Yes”
- 2021 Internship Forum
- Alum Story: A journey to the center of the self
- Student spotlight: Unlocking the mysteries of the human body—and demystifying the career exploration journey
- 2021 Grad School Fair
- Hub Industry Groups
- How to (net)work your way into a new career opportunity
- Graduating Hub intern shares that working at the Hub was more than just an internship experience
- More than just students: setting the Hub up for success
- In the “room” where it happens
- Applied Liberal Arts courses at the Hub
- Leveraging your LSA alum network as a recent graduate
- The road to discovery: An LSA alum looks back on how she found fulfillment in an unlikely place
- Three science alums, three very different career journeys
- Career fairs: an opportunity to explore, connect, and practice
- What is ‘career exploration’—and why does it matter?
- Three alums, three identities, three incredibly diverse career paths
- Internships: A way to trying on different careers for size
- An inside look into career coaching
- Where will your LSA degree take you?
- Waste not, want not
- 2022 LSA Internship Fair
- Making career choices with a little help from your LSA friends
- "Be your own advocate"
- 2022 Grad School Fair
- Take the pressure off
- Unlocking your next internship opportunity
- The Grad School Question
- How to Get Hired
- Navigating the unexpected
- Putting your LSA degree to work
- Networking: The key that unlocks career opportunities and mentoring support
- Dispelling common career myths
- Part Two: Dispelling common career myths
- To all summer interns
- Signing off
- What is Social Capital?
- 5 Ways to Make the Most of Your Undergraduate Career
- 4 Ways to Look After Your Mental Health as a Student
- So, you’re considering a virtual internship?
- Navigating Internship Rejection
- LSA Opportunity Hub Offers Free Professional Headshots For U-M LSA Students
- The 2023 LSA Internship Fair: Employers hiring winter and summer interns
- Reflections From a Recent BIPOC Grad Student Roundtable
- 3 Ways LSA Connect Will Help Launch Your Career
- All Events
A snapshot of LSA Connect
LSA Connect, the college’s career networking and mentoring platform created exclusively for LSA students and alums, launched in late July 2020. Six months later, the platform has over 850 students and more than 400 alums.
LSA students haven’t hesitated to take advantage of the unprecedented access to alums: more than 3,500 messages have been sent back and forth on the platform since late July. At the time of writing, more than 40% of the alum population has been reached out to in industries ranging from technology, music, journalism, marketing, to environmental sustainability.
"You can offer support to students by sharing expertise that only you are equipped to share.”
The private messaging feature isn’t the only way for students and alums to chat. Alums have been busy answering students’ questions through the ever-growing discussion board; students post topical questions on an array of topics, from “Is it OK if your major is not related to your career choice?” to “What is the best way to spend a gap year before graduate school?” in order to crowd-source answers from alums.
It’s not too late—by joining today, you can offer support to students by sharing expertise that only you are equipped to share.
Getting the word out
Since LSA Connect launched, the LSA Opportunity Hub has introduced industry-specific student groups in the platform to help encourage deeper exploration of industries and career paths. In October we launched these student-only groups in eight broad industry buckets:
- Communications, Media & Entertainment
- Creative Arts & Museums
- Data & Technology
- Environment & Sustainability
- Healthcare & Public Health
- Law, Policy, and Government
- Social Services & Education
Industry resources and insights, career-building events, and in-the-field opportunities like internships and jobs are posted weekly for students who opt-in. Nearly 650 students have already joined these groups to get industry-specific knowledge, expand their network with like-minded students, and gain a competitive edge. The next phase of industry groups will include invitations to alums, so look out for an opportunity to encourage deeper career exploration with students.
Why join LSA Connect?
By accessing the platform anywhere in the world, you have the flexibility to manage your own time and the control to shape your own impact. The beauty of having LSA students accessible in one place is that you can scale your impact to any number of students; the platform allows you to choose how many students you want to mentor a month and hides your profile once you meet your cap so you’re never overextended.
You can also choose how to connect with students, whether it be responding to questions on the discussion board or engaging in one-on-one conversations. Video calls are seamlessly set up through the ‘schedule a meeting’ feature within the platform which automatically configures to both participant’s time zones. Since all your mentoring can happen through the platform, you can control how much of your personal information is shared.
“You have the flexibility to manage your own time and the control to shape your own impact.”
Conversations have already begun within the platform, but it’s not too late to make a difference. Join LSA Connect today to mentor students anytime and anywhere.