The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace is a private, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing cooperation between nations and promoting active international engagement by the United States.
Each year the James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program offers 8-10 one-year fellowships ($37,000 salary plus benefits) to uniquely qualified graduating seniors and individuals who have graduated during the past academic year. They are selected from a pool of nominees from close to 400 participating colleges.
Gaither Junior Fellows work as research assistants to the Endowment's senior associates. Those who have begun graduate studies are not eligible for consideration.
Institutional Endorsement: The Gaither Junior Fellows Program does not allow direct applications; students must be nominated by U-M. Please contact ONSF for applications instructions and institutional endorsement.
U-M Deadline: First Monday of December by 12 noon
U-M Contact: Office of National Scholarships/Fellowships, firstname.lastname@example.org
- U.S. citizenship is not required.
- Graduating seniors or recent alums within one year of graduation.
- Strong academic credentials and co-curricular involvement in areas relevant to application.
- Foreign language competency or even fluency is required for some of the project areas.
- Students who applied in their Senior year are permitted to apply again the following year provided they meet the other eligibility criteria.
Potential applicants should attend an information session in the fall semester and/or contact Henry Dyson to discuss details of the U-M nomination process.
Note: 2022-2023 application materials are live and posted to Canvas! Click the link above to enroll. (10/08/2021)
- Application form
- 1-page essay
- 1-2 page resume
- Undergraduate transcripts from UM and any other undergraduate institutions you've attended.
- 3-page essay selected from a list of provided prompts.
- Two letters of recommendation
U-M may nominate up to two students to the Program. Finalists will be interviewed by video in February and offers will be made in mid-March.