The Yenching Academy provides full tuition plus a generous stipend to cover travel and living expenses for a 2-year Masters program in China Studies at Peking University in Beijing. The first year curriculum offers an intensive program of interdisciplinary classroom and field study of Chinese history and culture, as well as real-time issues in China’s development. The second year provides a living stipend to complete a thesis, an internship and other immersive experiences. As a college integrated within China’s leading university, The Yenching Academy prepares a diverse group of up to 150 exceptional international and Chinese students with the knowledge of China that they need to fulfill their potential as global citizens and leaders.
Institutional Endorsement: The Yenching Academy requires an institutional endorsement for consideration. See instructions below to apply for U-M endorsement.
U-M Nomination Deadline: The last Monday of November at 12:00 noon. For the 2020-2021 application cycle this is Monday, November 30 at 12:00 noon.
U-M Contact: Henry Dyson, Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships (ONSF)
Graduating seniors and new alums up to age 25. (You must be age 25 or younger in the year in which you accept the fellowship.) December and May graduates are eligible to apply.
Bachelor’s degree before the start of their fellowship year.
The Yenching Academy does not have a minimum GPA, however most successful applicants will have 3.7 or higher GPA as well as significant co-curricular achievements.
U.S. citizenship is not required for this fellowship. However, citizens of the People’s Republic of China are not eligible to apply to The Yenching Academy and should apply directly to Peking University instead.
All majors or degrees are welcome to apply.
Applicants for U-M nomination should e-mail each of the following items to email@example.com by no later than the last Monday of November. Applicants should not complete the online application or submit their letters via the online upload until after the U-M nomination decision is complete.
1) A personal statement of no more than 750 words. The statement should include a brief personal introduction and the reasons why you wish to be a Yenching Scholar. Please be sure to title the attachment as "LastName_FirstName_PersonalStatement".
2) A resume of activities or curriculum vitae. Please be sure to title the attachment as "LastName_FirstName_CV".
3) Two letters of recommendations sent as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prior to requesting letters of recommendation, you must fill out the ONSF Student Waiver form, found here, and submit directly to us at email@example.com. You will then fill out the FERPA Release for Letter Writers and submit that form to each of your letter writers when asking them to write a letter of recommendation for you. Please advise your recommenders that their letters should be entitled "StudentLastName_StudentFirstName_AdvisorLastName" and emailed directly to ONSF at firstname.lastname@example.org with "Yenching Recommendation" in the subject line.
4) A research proposal, maximum one-page in length, describing your intended Master's thesis in the second year at Yencing Academy.
The U-M nomination committee will select our official nominees in early December and work with these students to finalize and submit their applications before the mid-December national deadline.
U-M nominees will be selected in early December and work with Henry Dyson to complete the online application by national deadline.
Finalists will be interviewed via Skype in January and final admissions decisions will be announced in early February.