Overview and Introduction
As a college integrated within China’s leading university, The Yenching Academy prepares a diverse group of up to 150 exceptional international and Chinese students with the knowledge of China that they need to fulfill their potential as global citizens and leaders.
The first-year curriculum offers an intensive program of interdisciplinary classroom and field study of Chinese history and culture, as well as real-time issues in China’s development. The second-year provides a living stipend to complete a thesis, an internship, and other immersive experiences.
- Academics: No minimum GPA, but most successful applicants have at least a 3.7.
- Citizenship: No requirement.
- Degree-Level: Graduating seniors and new alums, no strict age requirement.
- Other: Citizens of the People's Republic of China are not eligible and should apply direclty to Peking University instead.
- Campus Deadline: Second Monday of November by 12:00 noon EDT
- Endorsement: The Yenching Academy requires an institutional endorsement for consideration. See instructions below to apply for U-M endorsement.
- Finalist Interviews: January
- Selection Notification: early February
Yenching Academy Selection Criteria:
Successful candidates have outstanding academic backgrounds and broad curiosity. They demonstrate strong motivation and potential to become leaders in their chosen fields.
Prospective applicants are encouraged to join the U-M Nominated Scholarships Canvas site for an overview of the application, program requirements, additional advising information, and more.
Please refer to the ONSF Canvas site for full and detailed instructions.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal statement (750 words)
- Statement of research interests (1,500 words excluding citations)
- 2-page resume
- U-M transcript
Note: Applicants should not complete the online application or submit their letters via the online upload until after the U-M nomination decision is complete.