Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Study Abroad

There are wonderful programs in Greece lasting from 2 weeks (summer) to an entire academic year. Brochures and applications are available in the Department of Classical Studies. Credit towards the student's program of study is given on a case-by-case basis and after a review of specific offerings. Study abroad requires prior planning and consultation with the Modern Greek concentration advisor, Professor Artemis Leontis ( 


For your convenience we have listed study abroad programs with their website links below. For more information call the Department of Classical Studies, 734.764.0360.


For information on U M-sponsored study abroad programs through LSA, visit the Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS).


For information on study, work, internships, and putting your LSA degree to work, visit the LSA Opportunity Hub and its page on Hub Internships.


U-M College of LSA International Travel Policy

The U-M College of LSA International Travel Policy is essential reading.


Planning and financial support for study abroad in Greece and Cyprus

When you think about study abroad, please consider whether you will study during the academic year or in the spring-summer; plan with the Modern Greek advisor how the courses will transfer and fit into your course of study; and take into account the the Greek study options listed here, which include:

  • U-M-sponsored program: Students electing to participate in a program administered through LSA’s Center for Global and Intercultural Study (CGIS) earn in-residence credits (you remain registered at the University of Michigan during your time abroad), may use financial aid awarded through U-M, and are eligible for various scholarships and fellowships through CGIS. Tuition arrangements vary among programs.
  • Programs administered by another American university or college: Students participating in programs sponsored by other American universities are not registered at U-M and instead receive transfer credit for their work; they are not eligible for financial aid through U- M. Transfer credit is awarded by the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions upon receipt of an official transcript from the sponsoring university.
  • Direct enrollment at a foreign educational institution: Students may elect to apply and enroll directly at a foreign university or study center. While this may be the least expensive option, drawbacks are that students may find themselves completely on their own, without orientation to the host university, and without support staff to assist them in selecting classes and finding housing. Students considering this option should check with the U-M Office of Undergraduate Admissions in advance to be sure that they can be awarded transfer credit for work done at the host institution.

You may seek financial support for Greek Study Abroad through the Modern Greek Program. Priority is given to students taking classes and pursuing degrees in the Program. Discuss the process with the Modern Greek advisor. If you are an undergraduate Major in Modern Greek or Classical Studies, you can also apply for a Carrie Arbour Scholarship described on Department website


Summer Programs

Academic Year Programs

College Year in Athens: Steps to Study Abroad by Katina Malis

1) Meet with your academic advisor to determine if you can take an entire semester or if you should spend your summer abroad.

2) If applying to CYA and you are interested in financial aid, apply in the spring the year before you go because they distribute their financial aid for the entire year at the same time, not at each semester.

3) In order to apply to CYA you will need to do the following (all info available on their website


Internship Opportunities

Speak with the Modern Greek Faculty Advisor.


Funding Resources

Refer to Prizes and Scholarships.