Who is required to take an MES Language Placement Exam?
- Any student who has previously taken a language offered in MES and plans to continue study in that same language at UM-Ann Arbor must take the placement test prior to enrolling in an MES language class.
- If you have no prior knowledge of the target language, you should NOT take the placement exam; you are eligible to directly enroll in the first course in the series.
Should I study for the exam?
- No. Preparation is not necessary for the placement exam. It is designed to be a tool to place you in the course most appropriate for your skill level.
How long is the placement result good for/does my placement expire?
- Exam results/placement are valid for only one year
How many times can I take the exam?
- Retakes are only permitted after the placement results expire.*
- *Under special circumstances, retakes within this one year time frame may be permitted. Please contact the language director.
When is the exam offered?
- Placement exams are online tests. They are available prior to the start of each term, during the backpacking/registration periods, and for sessions throughout the spring and summer. The availability of the language exam and details about registering for the exam are listed below.
How far in advance should I take the test?
- Incoming students interested in a language offered in MES, must take the test at least two weeks prior the start of your orientation visit so that you are able to receive your results by the time you register. Students who do not take the test in time may not be able to register for a language course during orientation. Results cannot be rushed.
- Current students should plan to take the placement exam during a scheduled time prior to their registration appointment
What if I require testing accommodations?
- If you are an incoming first-year or transfer student, contact the language director at least a week prior to taking the exam.
- Current students who have already registered with Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD), email a copy of their VISA letter to the language director at least two business days in advance of taking the exam.
How long does it take to receive my results?
- It typically takes seven business days for your results to become available. Results cannot be rushed, so please plan accordingly.
How can I view my results?
- You will NOT be notified of your score automatically. You may view your placement results via: Wolverine Access > Student Business > Academic Records > View Placement Exam Results.
What if I have questions about my course placement?
- For questions about your placement, you should consult the language director.
What if I want to request a substitution or exception to the LSA Language Requirement?
- For information about requesting a substitution or exception to the LSA Language requirement, please review the information on the Language Substitutions page of the LSA website
What if I have AP/IB credit?
- Information for students with AP/IB credit can be found here.
What if I have read this and still have questions?
- Contact the language director.