Events in Ann Arbor begin the cycle of the Michigan in Washington experience:
- Alums from the program distribute program materials at campus fairs and events such as Festifall, Northfest, the Global Fair and many more.
- The MIW Faculty Director and GSI offer a one-hour information session for interested students each term.
- Application deadlines are in late September and late January.
- New admits must attend three Prep Classes on campus to prepare for their semester in DC.
- New admits are assigned to returning student volunteers who serve as mentors to help prepare for the Washington semester.
- Students who are returning from DC do a Poster Session where they present their research and discuss their DC experience with the public.