September 27, 2019 (Winter 2020 and early admission Fall 2020)
- Interviews are scheduled for the week of February 25th.
- The schedule for Prep Classes and the send-off meeting will be provided at the interviews and emailed to early admits.
MIW Application and Interview Preparation Tips
1. Meet with school and concentration advisors to ensure that program participation supports educational goals and graduation plans stay on track.
2. Make an appointment at Student Career Services to update your resume.
3. Explore internship ideas using Google. Enter your area of interest and Washington, D.C. to see what types of organizations appear and whether you might be interested in working for them.
4. Outline your research interests and connect with MIW alums who have the same interests. Think about whether you would like to combine your internship with the research paper, or keep them separate. Honors students might consider using the research paper as a basis for an honors thesis.
5. Most students observe the Washington dress code at interviews - suits or jackets and ties for men, and appropriate business dresses, suits or slacks for women.
6. Interviews are approximately 25 minutes per student. They are held in a conference room with two or three people from the Ann Arbor campus.
7. Have your "elevator speech" ready (i.e., a 30 second introduction. "My name is John Doe. I'm a junior majoring in Communications. I'm interested in the MIW program because........")
8. Brush up on your etiquette. Stand and sit up straight. Learn to shake hands and maintain eye contact. Say "yes" not "yeah." Say please, thank you and excuse me. Life in D.C. is more formal than life in Ann Arbor; good manners and appropriate conduct are essential.