What is MCSP?
As one of the University's Michigan Learning Communities, MCSP combines the personal attention of a small school with the extensive opportunities of a large research institution. Our program attracts students with a variety of academic interests who share a commitment to community service and social justice. MCSP helps students transition smoothly from high school to college and prepares them for leadership roles on campus and in their future careers. Students and faculty members meet for classes and office hours and participate in student-organized events in West Quad -- where MCSP students live. Our living-learning environment creates a comfortable sense of community within the University.
How do I apply to MCSP?
MCSP welcomes students from all schools and colleges within the University of Michigan. Once you have been accepted to the University AND submit your enrollment deposit, you can apply to MCSP through the Housing Administration website. As soon as we receive your housing information including the MCSP short essay, we will review your application to the program. Admission to our program is done on a rolling basis through mid-summer.
- Pay your U-M enrollment deposit. Welcome to the University of Michigan! Decide that MCSP is the right place for you. Check our our programs, classes, initiatives, news and events to see what we do in our community.
- Receive your Housing Application Information. Apply for Housing via the Housing website.
- A link to the MLC application is part of your housing application. Click here for Application Instructions to Michigan Learning Communities (MLCs). Indicate your preference to be in the Michigan Community Scholars Program (MCSP) and write an application essay answering the prompt provided.
- Submit your MLC application by the deadline. Status of application will be given throughout the month of June from each MLC.
- Good luck! We look forward to reviewing your application.
What do I do in MCSP?
What's it like to be in MCSP?
Listen to two of our recent first-year students (who happen to be coming back next year to serve as student leaders!) as they discuss their experience in MCSP and what the program has meant to them during their first year of college. Thanks to Emily and Demetrius for sharing! Check out more testimonials here!