Issues related to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) profoundly affect many aspects of student life, including student recruitment, retention, and career outcomes.
Because students are so directly impacted by DEI, MCDB has organized a student-led DEI Committee.
The MCDB DEI Committee strives to:
- improve departmental climate
- providing students and postdoctoral fellows with opportunities for professional development
- and support in successfully navigating graduate school/research.
The DEI Committee is open to all, and committee membership is entirely voluntary. It was established in 2017 as part of a Rackham Graduate School-funded initiative.
The MCDB DEI Committee organizes monthly luncheons that are open to the entire MCDB community that have included:
- biology-based career panels
- UM faculty and external speakers on DEI issues,
- open forums discussing departmental life.
The DEI Committee is also organizing an extensive peer-peer mentoring network for MCDB graduate students, facilitating open discussions on DEI topics and issues of importance to graduate students.
We hope to expand peer mentoring practices to encompass much of the MCDB student body over the next few years.
Graduate Student Retreat
To enhance community and inclusivity within MCDB, the DEI Committee organizes an annual graduate student retreat in the summer.