- Admissions & Programs
- Awards & Fellowships
- Graduate Student Handbook
- Graduate Student Services
- Master's Programs
- Ph.D. Programs
- Course Enrollment
- DEI, Health, & Wellness Resources
- Forms and Policies
- International Students
- Library & Computing Resources
- Professional Development & Career Resources
- Student Spotlight
Students currently enrolled in a University of Michigan Ph.D. or Master's program outside of the Mathematics Department who have completed at least one term of coursework and are in good academic standing are eligible to apply for a Master's of Mathematics dual degree. (If you are interested in doing a dual degree with the Quantitative Finance & Risk Management Master's, visit the Quant Admissions FAQs page).
The Mathematics Dual Degree program has the following expectations:
- The Mathematics Department expects you to complete the Mathematics Master’s Degree either before or at the same time as the degree in your home department.
- Usually only a grade of “B” or higher in a course is allowed to be counted towards the Mathematics Master’s degree. You are expected to achieve an average of “B+” or higher for the overall GPA of the courses counted towards your Math Master’s dual degree.
- Students must have any changes to their course plan approved by an advisor prior to taking any course(s) that are not on the original course plan.
If you are in the dual degree program, and you anticipate not being able to meet any of these expectations, you must contact the department via email (email@example.com). Students who fail to meet the above expectations may be discontinued from the Mathematics Master’s program.
Students who have just graduated from a graduate program are not eligible to apply for a dual degree program.
Rackham Dual Degree Requirements
Please be sure to read Rackham's dual degree policies here.
Current Students can find Rackham's dual admission eligibility requirements and application instructions here.
- Must be a current Rackham Master’s or Doctoral student to apply.
- Must have completed at least one academic term in the current Rackham program with a cumulative GPA equal to or above a 3.0. As a first term graduate student, you are not eligible to apply until your grades are posted indicating a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Must meet with your current program advisor or graduate coordinator prior to submitting the application to add a degree or certificate.
- Must complete the Pre-Approval Form for Dual Admission and obtain a signature of approval from the authorized signer in your current graduate program before you apply. Without approval and an authorized signature on the form, your application will not be processed and the application fee of $10 will not be refunded. You will be required to upload the completed and signed Pre-Approval Form in the online application.
Applying for a Dual Degree
Applying to pursue a dual degree is a different application process than the online admissions system used for external applicants.
First, click on the program(s) you are interested in below and sketch possible course plans.
- General MS Math - Email Professor Divakar Viswanath at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Applied MS Math - Email Professor Divakar Viswanath at email@example.com
- Actuarial Math Master's - Email Professor Kristen Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Educational MS Math - Email Professor Divakar Viswanath at email@example.com
Second, email or make an advising appointment with the corresponding advisor listed above to discuss your plans and verify that they will meet the requirements. Also, sign this Mathematics Master's Dual Degree Program Expectations Contract explained above and submit to the Grad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Third, when your coursework is mostly completed, fill out this Rackham Graduate School Dual/Joint Degree Election Form, make an appointment with the corresponding advisor to have it signed, and submit it to submit to the Grad Office at email@example.com.
Finally, complete this Rackham Pre-approval Form for Dual Admission, submit it to submit to the Grad Office at firstname.lastname@example.org for a signature, then apply online to the Rackham Dual Degree program.
Questions about the Dual Degree Program should be directed to email@example.com.