The deadline for Fall 2023 entry applications is February 1, 2023.
The Mathematics Department offers self-funded (see Financial Support below) Master's degrees in
- MS Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics
- MS Mathematics - Actuarial
- MS Mathematics - Applied
- MS Mathematics - General
- MS Mathematics - Secondary Teachers
Please use the "Programs" link at the left to explore our offerings.
The Marjorie Lee Browne Scholars program provides an opportunity for eligible students to earn one of the Master's degrees above while preparing to enter a Ph.D. program. Please see this Marjorie Lee Brown Scholars webpage for eligibility and details.
Note: Admissions for the Quantitative Finance & Risk Management Master's Degree programs differ from the other programs offered in the Mathematics department. Please visit the Quant admissions page for more information.
MS Actuarial, MS AIM, MS Math Admissions Requirements
- Three Letters of Recommendation (May submit up to 5 letters, but only 3 are required.)
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Academic Statement of Purpose (concise - no limit)
- Personal Statement (500 word limit)
- TOEFL or IELTS Exam (Non-native English speakers)
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and IELTS Indicator online test are accepted.
- Exemption rules: https://rackham.umich.edu/admissions/applying/tests/
- List of International English Exclusive Institutions approved by Rackham
GRE General Test scores are no longer included in the admission process in accordance with a policy of the Rackham Graduate School.
GRE Mathematics Subject Test scores are strictly optional. However, if an applicant chooses so, they may submit them as a combined pdf file with their transcript or personal statement.
General Requirements for Admission
Application Requirement Details
Financial Support for Master's Students
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the Department of Mathematics at firstname.lastname@example.org.