The application window for Fall 2024 is closed.
The Mathematics Department offers two programs to obtain a Ph.D. Applicants can pursue a Ph.D. in Applied & Interdisciplinary Mathematics or Mathematics. Please use the "Programs" link at the left to explore our offerings.
- Three Letters of Recommendation (May submit up to 5 letters, but only 3 are required.)
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Academic Statement of Purpose (concise - no limit)
- Personal Statement (500 word limit)
- TOEFL or IELTS Exam (Non-native English speakers)
- TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and IELTS Indicator online test are accepted.
- Exemption rules: https://rackham.umich.edu/admissions/applying/tests/
- List of International English Exclusive Institutions approved by Rackham
GRE General Test scores are no longer included in the admission process in accordance with a policy of the Rackham Graduate School.
GRE Mathematics Subject Test scores are strictly optional. However, if an applicant chooses so, they may submit them as a combined pdf file with their transcript or personal statement.
General Requirements for Admission
Application Requirement Details
Financial Support for Ph.D. Students
Marjorie Lee Browne (MLB) Scholars Program - an MS bridge to PhD program for diverse students
The Department of Mathematics at the University of Michigan is pleased to offer the Marjorie Lee Browne (MLB) Scholars Program. The program is named for Dr. Marjorie Lee Browne, who in 1949 became the first African-American woman to earn a Ph.D. in Mathematics at the University of Michigan. The MLB Scholars Program is an enhanced option for the M.S. degree in either Mathematics or Applied and Interdisciplinary Mathematics that is designed to give students professional knowledge of pure or applied mathematics in order to prepare them for continuing toward a Ph.D. Please see this Marjorie Lee Brown Scholars webpage for eligibility and details.
If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the Department of Mathematics at firstname.lastname@example.org.