Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credits

LSA accepts transfer credit for coursework that meets the following criteria:

  • It was taken at a regionally accredited college or university.
  • It matches the kind of academic work offered for credit in LSA.
  • Your final grade was C or higher.

You can see all transfer credit policies on the LSA Academics Policies page.

Using the Transfer Credit Equivalencies Guide

You can check to see if a course has already been approved to transfer by consulting the Transfer Credit Equivalencies Guide. Courses that have been evaluated will be listed one of four ways:

  • Equivalent Credit: A transferable class determined to be directly equivalent to an LSA class will be listed with that department and course number (e.g., PSYCH 111), indicating that it will appear on your transcript as that specific LSA course.
  • Departmental Credit: A transferable class determined to fit the LSA curriculum but that does not directly match a specific LSA class will be listed with the appropriate department with the designation “DEPT”; also known as “Departmental Credit,” this indicates that the course will appear on your transcript under the appropriate department but without a specific equivalent course number (e.g., PSYCH 101X).
  • Interdepartmental Credit: A transferable class that covers a range of topics and disciplines that do not match any one U-M department might transfer as “Interdepartmental Credit” (e.g., INTERSS 101X).
  • Not Transferable: Any course that has been evaluated and determined to be unacceptable for transfer will be listed with “NOT TRANSFERABLE” in the comments section.

If the course is not listed on the Transfer Credit Equivalencies Guide, that means no student has ever applied to have it transferred. These courses will be evaluated upon your acceptance to LSA.

How Transfer Credits Count for Your LSA Degree

When you transfer to LSA the following general rules apply to your transfer credit:

  • Up to 60 credits may be transferred from other colleges and universities to count toward the 120 credits required for an LSA degree. Students who, prior to enrolling in U-M, complete an associate’s degree that requires 62 credits may transfer 62 credits.
  • If you have taken courses at an institution based on a different unit of credit (e.g.,  quarter credits or international credits), the credits will be converted to U-M semester credits. For specifics on credit conversion, go to LSA Academics and Requirements.
  • Grades do not transfer except for courses transferred from UM-Flint and UM-Dearborn.
  • Credits taken as a dual-enrolled student or as part of an Early/Middle College Program while in high school are subject to additional restrictions. For specifics on these credits go to LSA Academics and Requirements.
  • The applicability of transfer credit to specific LSA degree requirements is determined by college and department policies.

For LSA General Degree Requirements


First-Year Writing Requirement:The Sweetland Center for Writing maintains lists of approved and not-approved transfer courses. If the course you completed is not listed on either the approved or not-approved list, you may complete an online Petition for Transfer Course Credit. Please submit any questions about transfer credit for First-Year Writing Requirements to

Upper-Level Writing Requirement:Transfer credit cannot be used to satisfy this requirement.

Race & Ethnicity:Transfer credit cannot be used to satisfy this requirement except by successfully petitioning the LSA Academic Standards Board after the completion of the course.

Quantitative Reasoning:Courses transferred from another college or university, even those transferred as “equivalent credit” of LSA courses that meet the QR requirement (e.g., MATH 115), do not automatically count for QR credit except in the following circumstances: Transferred courses (minimum three credits) of PHYSICS 125, 126, 140, 240, or any STATISTICS courses (except business statistics) receive QR/1 credit. If a student transfers in all of the prerequisites for a math or computer science major, they will fulfill Qunatitative Reasoning.For other quantitative coursework, students may petition the Academic Standards Board to be allowed to satisfy the QR requirement with a class transferred from another institution.

Language Requirement: May be met through a placement exam and/or coursework transferred in; please refer to the Transfer Credit Equivalency site. Once you enroll in LSA, however, you may not take and transfer in language courses from another school unless the appropriate LSA language department has given you its approval.

For the LSA Distribution Requirement: You might be able to use these classes to satisfy general degree requirements or major requirements for your degree.  In fact, many courses that transfer as Departmental credit have already been approved to count for specific degree requirements. For general degree requirements, your academic advisor will automatically make these determinations in preparation for your orientation.  To count these courses toward credit for majors and minors, you may need to have them evaluated by an advisor in the department.

Note for transfers from Michigan community colleges: As part of the Michigan Transfer Agreement, many courses from Michigan community colleges have been pre-approved for transfer and distribution credit. You can check the Michigan Transfer Agreement page at the Undergraduate Admissions website to see if your courses have been pre-approved.

For Elective Credit:All courses that transfer can count for elective credit toward the 120 credits you need to complete your degree. Some courses might transfer in as non-LSA department credit, making them non-LSA credit. You may use 20 non-LSA credits toward the 120 total credits required for your degree.

For Your Major

Courses that transfer as equivalent credit will fulfill the same major requirements as the equivalent class taught at U-M. Courses that transfer as departmental or interdepartmental credit must be approved by an advisor in the department of your major. You should meet with a department advisor at the beginning of your first semester to discuss such courses and overall requirements. If you plan a major or minor that requires equivalent credit for specific classes, you can have courses pre-evaluated by the department for equivalent credit. Each LSA department has a web page for submitting courses for evaluation. You will find the link for these pages on each department's website by hovering over the Undergraduates tab at the top of each department's webpage.