Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Explore and Apply


Join the Victors Valiant by studying in the oldest and largest college at U-M. University of Michigan Admissions will help answer many broad questions about the campus and Ann Arbor. For more on specific opportunities for exploring transfer to LSA, check out the details below.

Remember that you’ll need to apply specifically to the College of LSA to unlock the world of possibilities that await you in the next four years. Go to the LSA Undergraduate Application page for detailed instructions and links to the application.

Financial Aid/Tuition and Costs

All financial aid for transfer students is based on demonstrated financial need as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and is available through the Office of Financial Aid and the LSA Scholarship Office. The Office of Financial Aid maintains a page dedicated to financial aid for transfer students.

Michigan Residents

For eligible Michigan residents, the university has a long-standing commitment to meet the demonstrated financial need as determined by the difference between the cost of attendance and your expected family contribution. You may also be eligible for the U-M Go Blue Guarantee program, which offers free tuition to students with family incomes under $65,000 with certain asset limits.

Domestic Non-Resident Students

Non-resident students who are U.S. Citizens or Permament Residents are also considered for need based financial aid. Go to the Office of Financial Aid non-resident student page for more information.

LSA Scholarships for Transfer Students

For incoming transfer students, LSA offers scholarships for in-state community college transfers. The LSA Transfer Student Scholarships amounts depend upon financial need and are renewable awards of $5,000 per year for in-state students. Scholarship candidates do not apply into this program. They will be selected based on a review of their undergraduate admissions applications and on the financial aid packages of all transfer students.

The LSA Scholarship Office also offers scholarships for study abroad, internships, and spring/summer course work. 

Quick tip: Your financial aid award will most likely change. Sometimes students assume that they will receive the same dollar amount of financial aid at U-M as they did at their previous college, but this is most often not the case. Financial aid awards at U-M are based on the cost of attendance and your financial need.

Exploring Transfer to LSA

There are a number of ways to explore the U-M campus and get advice on transferring even before you apply.

Transfer Tuesdays

Students interested in learning more about transferring to the University are invited to register for Transfer Tuesdays (held monthly). Transfer Tuesdays provide opportunities to learn about financial aid, credit transfers, and admissions requirements. Students are encouraged to bring a copy of their transcripts to discuss with admissions counselors and credit evaluators. Students will participate in a transfer information session, Central Campus Walking Tour, and meet one-on-one with an academic adviser. 

UROP Michigan Community College Summer Research Fellowship

The Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program (UROP) at the University of Michigan offers a 10-week paid Summer Research Fellowship for currently enrolled sophomore and junior community college students interested in transferring to UM-Ann Arbor. Research projects are available in all fields, including the social sciences; humanities; engineering; health sciences; and physical, natural, and environmental sciences.

Transfer Events at Community Colleges

Representatives from Undergraduate Admissions and LSA will be on hand at most of the transfer fairs at Michigan community colleges and some out-of-state fairs. We also collaborate with our community college partners on special events.

Check out our Transfer Event Calendar to see when we will be at your college.

Scheduled Campus Visits

Many Michigan community colleges bring groups of students for campus visits. If you attend a Michigan community college, check with the advisers and counselors at your college to see if a visit is scheduled.

Have questions?

If you have questions about credit transfer, how to choose the right classes for transfer, LSA majors and minors, and what programs might be right for you to explore, contact the LSA Transfer Team, Michael Hartman, Kristin Heinrich, and Nick Turinsky at

For questions about the admissions process and the application, go to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website to contact the admissions counselor assigned to you by your last name.