Unearthed from the Bentley Historical Library, the above photo displays a female student using a coin-operated typewriter in the typing room at the Undergraduate Library (UGLi). With ashtrays lining the countertop, students could also have a smoke while conducting their work.
This photo shows students completing assignments in the South Quad typing room in 1951. South Quad was originally an all-male residence until it became co-ed in 1964. The dorm was often known as the “trendsetter” among the residence halls on campus.