- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Facilities and Operations
- Faculty Academic Affairs
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- Information Technology (LSA IT)
- Instructional Support Services (ISS)
- LSA Advancement
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education
- Web Services
- Professional Development
To: LSA Faculty and Instructional Staff
From: RaShonda Flint, Assistant Dean for Undergraduate Education and Student Academic Affairs
Date: August 27, 2018
Re: LSA Undergraduate Student Academic Policies, Fall 2018
Welcome back to campus for the 2018-19 academic year! I trust you had an enjoyable summer and are eager for the start of the semester. I am excited to be joining LSA and the Division of Undergraduate Education as the newest Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Education and Student Academic Affairs, and I hope to have the opportunity to meet many of you throughout the year.
Each year LSA Student Academic Affairs (SAA) publishes the Handbook for Faculty and Instructional Staff. This online handbook provides detailed information about college policies and a range of other topics relevant to LSA instructors. A few things I would like to highlight in this year’s handbook are:
- Class Meeting Times - “Michigan Time” has ended. Effective May 1, 2018 classes at the university began on the hour and should be dismissed promptly ten minutes before the next hour, unless officially scheduled to meet for a different period. (refer to page 15)
- Syllabus Statements for Student Support. LSA and the University are committed to supporting students, including the advancement of the mental health and wellbeing of our students. As you prepare your course syllabi consider adding the various syllabus statements, including the statement on Student Mental Health and Wellbeing co-created by LSA Student Government. (refer to page 16)
- The annual LSA Terrence J. McDonald Academic Advising Academy is scheduled for Thursday, October 23 from 8:00 am-1:00 pm in the Michigan League (Hussey Room). This year’s Academy will focus on students in crisis and how departments and advisors can best support these students, and will include a panel of Student Life experts.
- Academic Integrity. The Office of the Assistant Dean manages the academic judiciary process on behalf of the college. Our office is responsible for ensuring a fair and judicious process for both students and instructors when there is a violation of the LSA Community Standards of Academic Integrity. Please contact 764-7297 or firstname.lastname@example.org for guidance when confronted with possible academic misconduct. (refer to pages 10-12)
- Classroom Conduct. There are resources available to assist you if confronted with disruptive behavior in the classroom. Please don’t hesitate to contact the Office of the Assistant Dean at 764-7297 if you have any questions about student-related issues. (refer to pages 13-14)
The Newnan LSA Academic Advising Center, as part of LSA Student Academic Affairs, serves as a great resource and support for academic advising-related matters across the college and shares with the teaching faculty the responsibility of facilitating the student's academic path through LSA. Academic advisors inform, support, and inspire LSA students as they develop and pursue their academic interests and personal goals in the tradition of the liberal arts.
The Testing Accommodation Center, as part of the LSA Student Academic Affairs, serves the college by providing reasonable testing accommodations to students with verified disabilities who are enrolled in LSA courses while adhering to the National College Testing Association Professional Standards and Guidelines.
Please save a copy of this message for future reference. For additional online information and resources you should visit the Student Academic Affairs website. As always, we in Student Academic Affairs are available to support you with any student concerns. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Have a great term!