- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Facilities and Operations
- Faculty Academic Affairs
- Graduate Education
- Human Resources
- LSA Advancement
- LSA DEI Office
- Office of the Dean
- Professional Development
- Security and Safety
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Technology Services
- Undergraduate Education
The Wonder of Why
At LSA, we wonder. We wonder why we are here. We ask how the universe works, and how we organize societies. We all wonder—but the great professors and students use curiosity as a catalyst to find answers to the biggest questions. Wonder begins with a simple “why” and leads to discovery that advances science and society while shaping our world for the better.
LSA Advancement champions the liberal arts at the University of Michigan by creating access and opportunities for learning, engagement, and giving that will improve the world. We do this in a way that reflects our values and grows our culture. Read on to learn more about the unique culture we are creating together!
Your CAREER SEARCH
JOB OPPORTUNITIES IN ADVANCEMENT
No current open positions.
INVITED FOR AN INTERVIEW?
WE HAVE SOME TIPS
Need to Know / Noteworthy Mentions
- Flexible Work Arrangements - see Our Space section of this site
Have additional time? Check out these resources!
Latest LSA Magazine
LSA At A Glance - for a glimpse of the breadth of the college
Dean Anne Curzan's 2023 State of the College Presentation
Other Campus Resources
LSA Advancement is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, LSA Advancement will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact us at 734.615.6333 or via email at email@example.com.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Competitive pay
- Generous time off
- Retirement plan with 2:1 matching contributions and immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
"I love that our Advancement team does such a wide range of work, and people have taken such varied paths to our office. Our best work is a showcase for these individual talents and backgrounds coming together to do bigger things than any of us could do alone. We all recognize that work is an incredibly important part of our lives, something that we derive a lot of purpose and fulfillment from, while also appreciating and respecting the lives we lead beyond the office. Our culture is as kind as it is ambitious, as people-first and it is high-achieving, and as flexible as it is consistently-stellar."
Joe Murray, Major Gift Officer
Read More Staff Testimonials
Our ADVANCEMENT MODEL
LSA Advancement integrates the college's fundraising and marketing and communications operations on one team. This model enables a well-supported and coordinated approach to engage with all of the college’s audiences, both internal and external, from students and faculty to alumni and donors, prospective students, the media, and beyond. Explore more about our services or take a look at our organizational chart.
We strive to live our values each and every day. We each play an important role and contribute to building our culture in impactful ways. Here are some of the defining aspects of our culture.
Extreme Kindness and Extreme Flexibility
Work-life Integration and Balance
Practicing POS (Positive Organizational Scholarship)
LSA Advancement is committed to being an anti-racist, inclusive organization. We value diversity and welcome folks of every identity. We are on a journey of self-improvement, committing to the following efforts:
- We learn. We each commit to completing several DEI classes offered through the college to help us understand how to make LSA Advancement an inclusive, equitable, and collaborative space to work, learn, teach, discover, and thrive together.
- We support. Advancement Advocates, an employee-led group, leads optional dialogues on issues affecting our work and our lives, and shares thought-provoking DEI Boosts, which are emails on a specific topic, to deepen our understanding of various issues and improve our ability to support one another.
- We listen. We actively seek to understand the experiences of all staff through a variety of means, including surveys, focus groups, peer-to-peer dialogue, anti-racist/equity listening sessions, and more. What we learn informs what we do.
- We talk. Our employee-led Culture Team facilitates activities that build and sustain a positive culture. At LSA Advancement, everyone has a voice and is empowered and encouraged to use it.
- We evaluate. The inclusivity review team, a cross-functional group of staff, is reviewing and modifying our hiring and operational processes and policies.
- We grow. Each of us commits to our individual learning and growth to learn more about DEI, the liberal arts, effective communication, positive culture, and more.
What are your ideas? We'd love to hear your perspective and thoughts on how we can be and do better!
We have a lovely office space at 101 N. Main Street in the heart of Ann Arbor, Michigan. Employees enjoy the open concept layout with plenty of rooms to collaborate and meet in groups. Our balconies provide a space to get outside and enjoy the fresh air with a view of the city. Our office is a short walk from the main University of Michigan campus where we will often travel for meetings with other campus partners and students.
Flexible Work Arrangements
As part of the University of Michigan's Future Work Initiative and LSA Advancement's Flexible Work Arrangements, this position has the option to work on-site or hybrid (both remote and on-site) for the 22-23 academic year; this will be updated when a long-term policy is determined. We are committed to flexible work policies. Have questions about additional flexibility? Let us know!
LSA Advancement is proud to be a sustainable office and has reached silver level certification!
- Our department saves plastic, and takes them to drop boxes for the Plastic Pollution Solution initiative.
- Staff leave lights off in certain areas when not needed.
- Electronic documents are used rather than printing when possible.
- Nearly all staff meetings are paperless.
- Sleep settings are set according to LSA standards.
Our annual Green Clean Day is a FUN event dedicated to cleaning out departmental space and maximizing recycling, reuse, and waste reduction. Green Clean Days originated with the Ross School of Business and have filtered throughout the University. This day is a great opportunity to create much-needed space for storage by purging files and materials!
Tying in with our Green Clean Day, there is usually a University of Michigan Office Shopping Day where staff can get rid of excess or unwanted supplies. The items are generally donated to non-profit organizations.
DEI Strategic Plan
LSA is committed to a long-term plan for fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion for all students, staff, and faculty.
Land Use Statement
We acknowledge the university’s origins in a land grant from the Anishinaabeg (including Odawa, Ojibwe, and Boodewadomi) and Wyandot. We further acknowledge that our university stands, like almost all property in the United States, on lands obtained, generally in unconscionable ways, from indigenous peoples. Knowing where we live and work does not change the past, but a thorough understanding of the ongoing consequences of this past can empower us in our research, teaching, and outreach to create a future that supports human flourishing and justice for all individuals.
Public Research University in the U.S.
QS World University Rankings 2019-2020
Employer in Michigan
Crain's Detroit Business 2019
Best College Town in America
WalletHub 2021 Rankings