- Budget and Finance
- Chairs and Directors
- Facilities and Operations
- Faculty Academic Affairs
- Graduate Education
- Graduate Students Teaching as Instructor of Record
- Tuition-only Fellowships for Students Longer Than 7 Years in Program
- The Ten-Term Rule
- Continuous Enrollment Policy
- Graduate Student Assistantships
- Request Funding for Events
- Announcements and Initiatives
- Staff List
- Recruitment of Prospective Students
- Human Resources
- LSA Advancement
- Office of the Dean
- Security and Safety
- Standard Practice Guide
- Student Academic Affairs
- Undergraduate Education
- Professional Development
- Technology Services
The College of LSA is interested in assisting students with the completion of degree requirements and recognizes that there are times when delays occur in the graduate education process. By mapping out a financial plan, assuring a state-of-the-art degree, and developing a timeline of study, the student can have a more focused path during the final stages of degree completion.
When a student has spent more than seven years in their degree program, Rackham requires a request for a time extension. If a student is interested in using a LSA tuition-only fellowship after seven years in their program, the Rackham Petition for Modification or Waiver of Regulation will be an instrumental part of the request to LSA. In addition to the materials required for the Rackham extension process, one additional piece of information, the funding plan, needs to be provided to the LSA Dean’s Office by the department (see list below).
Content of the Request (first three are required for the Rackham Time Extension process):
- A new deadline (month/year) should be specified along with an explanation of why the extension is needed.
- A timeline must be included.
- An additional memo from the department chair supporting this request and stating that the degree will still be “state-of-the-art” is also required.
- Include a funding plan for the remainder of the student’s time in the program. *
* This is not currently a part of the Rackham Time Extension Process
Form to Fill Out:
Rackham’s “Petition for Modification or Waiver of Regulation” *
* Please also attach the funding plan with the Rackham materials when sending to LSA for tuition-only fellowship review.
Reminders: Please keep in mind that LSA does not require that Rackham approve the time extension prior to the request for a tuition-only fellowship after the 7th year. Also, students do not need to wait until the approval is given in order to register for the term.
Where to Submit:
In addition to submitting the time extension form to Rackham, a copy should be provided to Paula Trail, LSA Dean’s Office via email or mailed to:
Manager of Graduate Education
LSA Dean’s Office
2144 LSA Building 1382