There are many hidden ways in which culture influences behavior. Starting with an understanding of American culture, this session focuses on cultural differences between countries and how “common sense” assumptions we make about others may be flawed.
You will learn to:
- Determine some American cultural values and norms that might differ from other cultures
- Discuss some of the challenges persons from other cultures might face at a US educational institution, as a student or employee
- Identify examples of verbal and nonverbal communication, symbolic meaning, cultural norms and cultural values
You will benefit by:
- Obtaining a general framework for understanding culture
- Increasing self-awareness and improving competency in both inter -and intra-cultural communications
Anyone who would like to learn how to be more sensitive to the issues that people from other cultures face here at U-M
Length: 1.5 hours
To register for a regularly scheduled session open to LSA staff please visit the DEI Events section of the DEI Tile in the LSA Gateway.
To request a private or customized session please email LSA-DEI-Office@umich.edu.