Effective Winter 2017Exclusions:
Students with a declared academic major in Sociology with a subplan in Sociology of Health and Medicine are not permitted to minor in Sociology of Health and Medicine.
A department advisor is available to students for one-on-one appointments to discuss the choice of Sociology of Health and Medicine as a minor, assist in course selection, and advise on co-curricular opportunities and career preparation. Students can schedule an advising appointment by calling the department at (734) 764-6324 or using the online appointment scheduler at www.lsa.umich.edu/soc. Students can also email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Students must earn at least a C- or better in the minor prerequisite and in all courses they plan to include in the minor plan. Courses elected as pass/fail may not be included in the minor plan.
- SOC 100: Introduction to Sociology; or
- SOC 102: Introduction to Sociology: Special Topics; or
- SOC 195: Honors Introduction to Sociology; or
- SOC 300: Sociological Principles and Problems, or
- SOC 302: Health and Society: An Introduction to Sociology
A minimum of 15 credits from any combination of the following courses. A minimum of nine credits must be elected in the minor at the 300-level or above (not including prerequisite).
- SOC 230: Health & Population in South Africa (4 credits)
- SOC 207: Sociology of Suffering (4 credits)
- SOC 225: Practicum in Sociology (Public Health Section) (3 credits)
- SOC 330: Population Problems (3 credits)
- SOC 345: Sociology of Sexuality (4 credits)
- SOC 346: Sociology of the Body (3 credits)
- SOC 430: World Population Dynamics (3 credits)
- SOC 445 / WGS 449 (WOMENSTD 449): Diagnosis, Sex and Society (3 credits)
- SOC 474: Social Inequalities in Health (3 credits)
- SOC 475: Medical Sociology (3 credits)
- SOC 476: Sociology of Bioethics (3 credits)
- SOC 477: Death & Dying (3-4 credits)
Students may also include the following courses with appropriate topics as approved by a Sociology department advisor:
- SOC 295: Topics in Sociology (1-4 credits)
- SOC 394: Undergraduate Research (1-4 credits)
- SOC 395: Independent Study (1-4 credits)
- SOC 396: Undergraduate Internship (1 credit)
- SOC 495: Topics in Sociology (1-4 credits)
- The department will allow up to one course with significant sociological content related to the Sociology of Health and Medicine from other LSA departments or transfer institutions to be included in the minor plan. Students interested in petitioning to include a non-SOC course or transfer course in their minor plan should complete the course petition process which includes submitting a petition form and the course syllabus.
- A maximum of 6 credits in the minor plan may come from Experiential Learning or Independent Study style courses. These include but are not limited to SOC 225, SOC 394, SOC 395, and SOC 396.